Slow Internet Access

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tonysync

I have 3 computers networked through a Linksys 4 port router to a DSL modem.
Computer A is a 2 ghz Dell 8400 desktop. Computer B is a 3.8 ghz Dell XPS.
Computer C is an old 400 MHz Think pad laptop. I have good communications between all three computers. Computer A and Computer C have good communication speed to the Internet, through the router and DSL modem.
Computer B will launch the browser quickly, however it may take up to 1 minute to reach my homepage. It also takes about a minute to go to another web page. It does eventually get to the page, but it does take an while. When I do get to a web page that I want, it will download a 10 MB technical manual at the proper speed (2 - 3 minutes). I have McAfee anti virus installed on computer A and B. When I disable it, there is no change. When I disable Windows Firewall and Security Center, there is still no change. I changed network cards on computer B - no change. I bypassed the router and connected directly to the DSL modem - no change. I called Dell, as computer B is only 2 months old - no luck. I talked to earthlink - not their problem.
When I try to bring up a web page, the progress bar quickly moves approx. half way then stop for about a minute. Then it will continue and load the page. I have used Netscape 7.2, IE 6.0 sp2, Foxfire. Still dogs. Both computers are running Windows XP SP2. The Think pad is using Windows 2000
with its latest Service pack, and it works fine. The whole internet behavior of computer B is like trying to stuff a water balloon through a knot hole! It's as if the wed page has to be squeezed through a protective filter. I have checked all the Internet settings I could find in the control panel on Computer A ans B to see if they matched and could not find any variations. I have replaced the router with no change. I have replaced the Cat 6 cable and routed it far from any possible source of magnetic interference. This whole problem does appear to be a configuration problem and not a hardware problem. I am down to my last remaining brain cell and would really appreciate any suggestions and help.
Tonysync

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, To test the settings, try one of these utilities on the affected pc: Download and follow the instructions to see what if anything you may need to change: See the FAQs, and Tips and Tweaks sections here: What you will be using is DR TCIP, very simple tool, I've used it. I had dialup for years, and got cable, and my settings were not optimized at all for broadband.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,13516228

There are other analyzers available, here is one I've used:

See the list on the left....Main>FAQs> then go through the list

If none of that helps> Try Firefox on that slow pc. It's gotten many people out of a jam with IE.

Have you tried repairing or rolling back IE and reinstalling IE 6.0, then updating it? Are there any security programs, even things like popup blockers, that are different on that slow pc?

Tried any online antivirus scans? Trojans and things will slow down a connection...

http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm

Have you scanned with the newest versions of SpyBot Search and Destroy, or Ad-Aware SE personal edition, or if using winXP, the Microsoft Antispyware program?

tonysync

Hi Byteman,
I have been to dslreports.com before, but not for this problem. I will look at what you recommend and see if there is anything I can try. I don't use IE unless I need to download something from Microsoft.com. I use Netscape 7.2 on all three computers. I receive fewer potshots than with IE. I did download and try Firefox several weeks ago, but computer B was still slow. I went back to Netscape. I use both Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta I program and Earthlink Spyware program at the end of every day.
Earthlink spyware program detects and removes spyware that the Microsoft program misses. Earthlink seems to do a better job.
I have double and triple checked the settings on both computer A and computer B and as far as I can tell, they are the same. The problem seems to be unique to computer B. There might be something in MYCOMPUTER/MANAGE/ SERVICES & APPLICATIONS/SERVICES that could be hanging it up, but all those services appear to be set the same on both computers. Computer B has approximately 1 hour total time on the internet. Most of that time has been to my EARTHLINK home page and only for the purpose of trying to apply a laxative. I will try what you recommend and let you know.
Thank you for your help.
tonysync

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online