1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow Internet,but pc seems same speed.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Skubbz, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Skubbz

Skubbz Thread Starter

I started having the problem yesterday. I booted up my pc connected to the internet through wireless and tried to load up google, and it took like 20 seconds to load. I have Road runner high speed internet 30mb/s so it shouldn't take that long to load up google. Anyway i have tried to load other websites and the same thing, takes even longer. So i tried my wifes laptop (wireless) and it loads everything just fine. I even hooked up my ehternet cable to my pc and the load times are still slow. Tried Firefox, Chrome, and IE but still same problem. The weird thing too is when i run internet speed test on my dekstop ( the slow one) it still says my d/l speed is 25mb/s upload 1.6 mb/s and latency is 39 ms. My xbox still runs at same speed. Have also run Malaware to clean spyware, avast antivirus, and trend micro (online) antivirus, but nuthing. I don't know what else to do. I looked online but it seems like all the problems i have found like mine had no resolution. Its driving me crazy. I don't want to reformat, but i don't know what else to do.

Operating system: Windows 7 Home

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista and 7 and 8.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt. [For Windows 8: <Windows Logo> + x - Command Prompt(Admin)]

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

3. Skubbz

Skubbz Thread Starter

Thx for the response. I have done a reset on all 3 things, except the last one netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log says "There's no user specified settings to be reset" Still no change :(. Still fast DL speeds but takes 20 seconds to load up google. Anyway i top of that i defraged, and tried running in safe mode with networking, and still get the same problem

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What security applications (firewall, anti-virus, security suite, etc.) are, or ever were, on the system?

5. Skubbz

Skubbz Thread Starter

I was running on the AVG free edition earlier today, but i uninstalled it and got avast. I also have Malware bytes anti-malware, and Windows firewall. I have tried disabling windows firewall and still get the same problem.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Run the AVG Remover.

Make sure (Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services - ) Windows Defender is not running.

7. Skubbz

Skubbz Thread Starter

Did both but still same problem :(

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Maybe Avast got messed up because a remnant of AVG was still lurking. Other than uninstalling Avast for a test I have no more ideas.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!