1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow internet connection on D-Link dir-615

Discussion in 'Networking' started by remiski, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. remiski

remiski Thread Starter

Hello,

Yesterday, my linksys router broke down suddenly. I went to the store and bought a new one, a d-link DIR-615. After plugging it in and setting it up, i tried loading web pages and it worked ok. It wasn't as fast as my linksys router but it was fine. When i tried loading youtube videos, that wasn't the same story. The videos didn't load. It started playing but then stopped after a couple of seconds. When i connected my computer directly to the modem, the videos loaded fast. There seems to be something wrong with the video streaming. Is there anyway i could fix this because it is very annoying. Thanks in advanced and i hope you can help me. :confused:

2. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Are there updates for the router?D-Link DIR-615 Wireless N Router And do you have the latest drivers for the wireless network cards? What are your current wireless settings on the router?

In most cases with this router you are advised to change your MTU default size for faster browsing did you contact D link support at all?

3. remiski

remiski Thread Starter

Hello again, thanks a lot for replying. I checked and there are no updates for the router or the network cards that i know of. I have saw the MTU setting changing thing somewhere on the Internet but i don't know how to change it. And i have not contacted d-link support either. Is there somewhere or someone that could tell me how to change the settings or something? I am really new to this router and i have never had any problems with a router before really so i don't know how to do it? Thanks a lot again. Cheers.

4. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

D-Link

• 1 Open a browser window and navigate to the IP address of the router. The default IP address for a D-link router installation is 192.168.0.1.

• 2 Enter "admin" into the username text box. Enter a password if you previously set a password for the router's admin account. Otherwise, the default password is blank. Press the "Enter" key.

• 3 Click the "WAN" button on the router's default console screen. On this screen, scroll down to the MTU section. Enter a new value in the MTU text box and click the "Save" button.

5. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

The idea is to lower it if its 1400 make it 1200...etc

6. remiski

remiski Thread Starter

if its 1500? do i put it at 1200? I have tried that and its still as slow... ??

7. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Hmm..I'll look into it usually that helps the speed. Maybe you should try to contact D-link support. I will definitely look more into it when I get back and I'm sure before I get back someone else will help you out. Be back in a few.

8. remiski

remiski Thread Starter

OK! Tomorrow I will contact D-Link support. And thanks a lot for helping me! I hope my problem gets fixed soon! See ya!

9. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

It will I'm sure ;) No problem speak to you soon!

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't necessarily agree with changing the MTU from the default (although that is sometimes needed). If it is needed then you probably had to change it on your computer when you connected directly to the modem, and your ISP should be telling you the correct value.

I most hardily agree with updating the firmware. Maybe the newer DIR-615 units are a later hardware revision and already come with the latest firmware, but for earlier versions updating firmware was mandatory.

What kind of internet access do you have? What is the brand and model of the modem?

After you have double or triple checked to make sure you have the latest firmware reset the router to factory default settings. Don't bother yet to configure it unless you need to set the WAN connection type and test with an ethernet connection. If you still have the reduced speeds the router is likely defective.

My current DIR-615 worked great for about two days. Then it throttled my 11.5 Mbps (modem) internet access to about 2 or 2.5.

Hmmm, I don't think you told us your results with something like Speedtest.net for a connection to the modem and for an ethernet connection to the router.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026055

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice