1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

slow internet connection speed

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by brendal_pitt, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brendal_pitt

brendal_pitt Thread Starter

I am using Windows XP Home Edition and a Smart Link 56kbps modem. I don't have a very good internet connection speed any ideas to help?

2. jd_957

jd_957 Banned

i am slow also. have the same thing as you. i just live with it. want speed? try DSL or Cable.

3. xSoilworkeRx

xSoilworkeRx

It's a dial up. The most you are gonna get on a good day is 7 kbps. The most common speed on dial up is 4 to 5 kbps. Like jd says, get DSL or Cable for real speed.

4. begud4me

begud4me

bite the bullet and get comcast it is very worth it very very fast.

5. mike5532g

mike5532g

6. Dr Dave

Dr Dave

If its speed you want try this, first download Firefox v 1.0
    We found a way to boost browser performance in Firefox (and Mozilla) to a level you literally won't believe? The update takes two minutes, requires no add-ins or purchases, and blows your hair back when you surf even the most dog-slow Web sites.

. To boost Firefox, simply do the following after launching your browser.

1. Type "about:config" into the address bar (no spaces) and hit Return. Scroll down and look for the following entries:
    --network.http.pipelining
    --network.http.proxy.pipelining
    --network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

Normally the browser will make one request at a time to a Web page. When you enable pipelining, the browser will make several at once, which really speeds up page loading.

2. Alter the entries as follows:
    Set "network.http.pipelining" to "true"
    Set "network.http.proxy.pipelining" to "true"
    Set "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" to some number like 30. (This tells the browser to make 30 requests at once.)

3. Lastly, right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and set its value to "0". This value is the amount of time the browser waits before acting on received information.

Okay. That's all it takes. [have mine fixed and it sure is fast]

7. wtxcowboy

wtxcowboy

get real dr dave, doesn't make firefox any better or any worse lmao

8. vanillag1rl

vanillag1rl

I did it, and noticed a differnce.
    "lmao"

anyways,
    brendel_pitt

Has your connection got any slower? Or has it always been like this?

9. brendal_pitt

brendal_pitt Thread Starter

it's slowed down quite a bit but its not because of spyware or out of date drivers i just have no idea. i am thinking of gettin DSL but i'm not sure

10. vanillag1rl

vanillag1rl

who is your isp?

11. jd_957

jd_957 Banned

nature of the beast. either you live with it or not.

the decision is yours to make.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Living in TN, I use BellSouth as my ISP. Local Phone Company. Pay month by month, with phone bill that I have to pay for anyway. :p

12. Dr Dave

Dr Dave

WTXCowboy, In your opinion you are dead wrong, having worked for IBM for many years where we worked on perfecting pipelining I don't have to get real
    I am real. It's quite clear you do not have the slightest idea what pipelining is all about, so I shall explain it to you, so that even you will understand.
    A Pipeline is a series of stages, where some work is done at each stage. The work is not finished until it has passed through all stages. Pipelining is an implementation technique in which multiple instructions are overlapped in execution. Today, Pipelining is key to making processors fast. A pipeline is like an assembly line: in both, each step completes one piece of the whole job. Workers on a car assembly line perform small tasks, such as installing seat covers. The power of the assembly line comes from many cars per day. On a well-balanced assembly line, a new car exits the line in the time it takes to perform one of the many steps. Note that the assembly line does not reduce the time it takes to complete an individual car; it increases the number of cars being built simultaneously and thus the rate at which the cars are started and completed. There are two types of pipelines, Instructional pipeline where different stages of an instruction fetch and execution are handled in a pipeline and Arithmetic pipeline where different stages of an arithmetic operation are handled along the stages of a pipeline.

Pipelining is used to obtain improvements in processing time that would be unobtainable with existing non-pipelined technology. The development goal for the IBM 7030 (the Stretch Computer) was an over-all performance of 100 times the 704 computer, the fastest computer in production at that time, whereas circuit improvements would only give a factor-of-10 improvement . This goal could only be met with overlapping instructions, i.e. pipelining.

A Pipeline is used to improve performance beyond what can be achieved with non-pipelined processing. Similarly, the goal for the IBM 360/91 was an improvement of one to two orders of magnitude over the 7090. Technology advances could only bring about a four-fold improvement .

In a more recent example, the 6502 microprocessor had a through-put similar to the 8080 processor running at a clock rate four times faster. This was due to the pipelined architecture of the 6502 versus the non-pipelined 8080

13. wtxcowboy

wtxcowboy

i sit corrected. don't take things soooo seriously :)

14. daisysdaddy

daisysdaddy

Return? What return? I don't see a return nothing.

Still don't see a return button. would someone tell me where the return button is. Please!

15. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

a dialup connection that blows your hair back?????

when you dress a pig up in a suit, you still have a pig.:eek:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331708

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice