1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow internet or weak computer...or both?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Brokenjunk, Jan 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brokenjunk

Brokenjunk Thread Starter

My internet really doesn't perform all that well.

The performance is so weak that if I upload a video on Youtube, I can't surf the net while it's uploading because seems like the machine can only focus all of it's energy on 1 thing at a time.

Obviously, this is really an annoying issue that needs to be fixed. Is my computer missing Ram or something, or should I up my internet speed. I am currently using Internet ADSL high speed 10 from Electronic Box.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Uploading video to youtube is usually a bandwidth intensive task. If you only have a 10MB Download spd, you upload spd is usually less thn half the download spd. I would say you are getting what you pay for. Increasing you service speed will cost more but be more manageable.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What upload/download speeds do you get measured with Speedtest.net?

How much RAM do you have?

4. Brokenjunk

Good idea!

So as of January 12th 2014, this is what I got...

Ping: 14 ms (whatever thaat means)
    Download Speed: 2.56 Mbps
    Uplaod Speed: 0.66 Mbps

I basically cannot upload or download anything whatsoever while using the internet. Can't do both at once because the machine is too crappy for some reason.

The computer I have is an Acer AXC-603 Desktop PC (Intel Pentium J2900 / 1TB HDD / 4GB RAM / Windows 8). I've been considering adding some RAM manually myself, but I need to the get to the bottom of the issues before, to make sure I'm applying the proper solution.

5. valis

valis Moderator

ouch....who is your carrier?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    4 GB RAM should be plenty unless you're doing something memory intensive (such as video editing). To monitor it right click an empty spot on the Taskbar - Task Manager - Performance tab - Memory. Usually Windows 7/8 tries for around 50% memory usage, and you really need not worry about needing more RAM unless the usage is up around 100%, meaning that it going to be "wasting" time paging.

While Jay and valis already adequately identified the cause of the slowness, to be a little more verbose I think with that speed any kind of upload larger than a small email is going to noticeably slow any other simultaneous networking. Are those the (approximate) speeds you are supposed to be getting with your service? If so, all you can do is see if and at what cost you can upgrade.

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I can remember thinking how blindingly fast my 3MB DSL was compared to my dialup account. Then I got 30MB cable.:eek:

8. valis

valis Moderator

when the ex and I moved in together, back in 99 in PDX, we were about 30 yards from a DSL node. THAT was fast back then.......:)

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Right now I am the only customer on my Cable Trunk. I pay for 30MB but frequently get 60MB down. Up is usually 12-14:cool:

10. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I have been trying to convince the wife I need 100MB business account.

11. Brokenjunk

Just upgraded to internet to 15 Mbps and these are my new speedtest results.

Ping: 13 ms
    Download Speed: 2.61 Mbps
    Upload Speed: 0.68 Mbps

I don't know.

Computer's still very very slow considering my new connection...

12. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    The caveat in the US is that when you pay for 15MB service that means UP TO 15MB, so even if you only get 6MB it still falls with in the Up To 15. And with DSL you will be limited by distance from the CO.

13. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Is this a laptop connected wirelessly or a desktop? Please post your system specs,

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You still have ADSL? Have you talked with tech support (not sales!) and confirmed that you are close enough to the CO or booster node (don't know the real terminology) to get decent DSL?

Jay is right about the "up to" but I think even ISPs agree that you should be getting at least 80% of the up to speed. In other words, if you are consistently getting less than 12 Mbps (80% of 15 Mbps) there is a problem with the service.

However, we have almost none of the information we need to try to pinpoint the source of the problem. Review the questions in above posts. Describe your network (modem, router if any, or modem/router combo, etc.); confirm that you get those pitiful results with an ethernet connection to the modem (or modem/router); confirm the same results if you also have wireless; do you only have the one device or do other devices also get the same results; etc.

15. vembutech

vembutech Banned

The speed varies according to the signal strength so check with that and also bandwith.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141019

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice