1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow Internet Response

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nudeneighbor, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nudeneighbor

nudeneighbor Thread Starter

I am a brand new Mac user and a brand new wireless router user as well. I feel like my internet is running slow and would like to increase the speed what can i do? I will give my specs and go from there.

macbook pro 15 inch 2.2 g 2 g memory 120 g hd

cable modem

wireless router linksys 2.4g 802.11b model BEFW11S4

i am in a community with several wireless routers around.

here is a bandwidth test tonight.

Speed

151.8 kilobits per second
    Communications 151.8 kilobits per second
    Storage 18.5 kilobytes per second
    1MB file download 55.3 seconds
    Subjective rating Mediocre

thank you in advance, nude

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What you really need to tell us is what kind of ISP service you contract for. Also, what do you get with a wired connection to the router?

3. JuiceBoxHero

JuiceBoxHero

Looks like your router is only 802.11b. That's definitely going to slow you down and cut your range pretty short. Your macbook pro definitely has 802.11g capability, and you may even have 802.11n available (anyone know about this?)
    Upgrading your router would be a good idea if you normally get a lot faster speeds when you're running your wired connection. If you're running slow when hardwired too, then it might be your ISP.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/609979

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice