1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow internet - Slow computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jkc302, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jkc302

jkc302 Thread Starter

Hey Everyone,

First off I'm pretty new here I know..........

My problem is that my internet connection is pretty slow on my main computer. It's an older (6 years) Dell. I'm still running XP and IE7. I have Comcast cable and it's connected through a Linksys modem. The problem is that the internet response on this machine is pretty slow. I have a laptop that I use and that is much better. I would figure that my "main" computer would be faster since it has a hard connection, not wireless.

I know that isn't much info so ask away and I do what I can to provide all the info needed.

Thanks!!!!!!

Jon

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

How much ram. Click start, right click, My computer, click properties and under the General tab. How much ram and what processor.

3. jkc302

jkc302 Thread Starter

It is a Pentium(r) 4 2.66 GHz
    512 RAM.

I know I could use some more RAM. I am also wondering what else may be going on or if there are some setting that could be optimized.

Thanks,

Jon

4. Macboatmaster

Is the computer SLOW to even display the browser when you double click Internet OR does the page just take long to fully activate.

5. jkc302

jkc302 Thread Starter

Slower to take the page to activate. Although it's not breaking any speed records to load the internet when I start that either.

6. Macboatmaster

Are you using Internet Explorer or something else.

7. jkc302

jkc302 Thread Starter

Ie 7

8. Macboatmaster

As the computer boots and before it loads windows press F8. Boot to safemode with networking.
    When that loads see if it opens quicker.

9. jkc302

jkc302 Thread Starter

IE seems to load quicker and so the pages. Some it hangs on a bit but it an improvement. Still not lightning fast.

10. Macboatmaster

Is is NEVER going to be FAST. Mine takes .75 of one second from Clicking Internet Explorer shortuct on the desktop.
    Load the internet. Click the Safety button right hand side, next to Tools. Click delete browsing history.
    If you have any saved passwords for any sites that you do NOT know, do not check the box next to passwords. If you are not sure what which box to check, click on the About deleting browsing history.
    When you have then decided. Check the boxes and then click Delete. I advise check the first four boxes and then click delete. If you have not done this for sometime it could take a long time.
    If you have not come back in ten minutes I am signing off for the night. I will see you tomorrow.

11. jkc302

jkc302 Thread Starter

I'll do that in the morning and get back to you. Thanks for help! Talk with you soon.......

Jon

12. Macboatmaster

SORRY Forgot to add. Now boot as normal. not Safe Mode.
    After you have done that.
    Click START, click programs, click accessories, click system tools, click Disk Cleanup.
    It will ask you to confirm which drive.
    If you only have the one hard drive it will be C. Click OK
    When that then loads with the box listing Disk Cleanup you will see a list of files to delete.
    As you click on each type or category, it will describe to you what they are.
    You may safely check everything, EXCEPT temporary files and any Microsoft Office/Windows old installation files.
    If in doubt, just check the ones you are certain of.
    When you have done that Click OK.
    Post how you went on and I will pick it up tomorrow.

13. valis

valis Moderator

14. Macboatmaster

Valis
    Never seen ATF before. We help others and learn ourselves at the same time.
    What a great forum
    When DOS1 was originally written by IBM it was only of course for floppies. Microsoft then became involved with DOS for HDD and needed a termination character. I thought they just chose the $ at random. As other DOS string characters had already been used by IBM in DOS1.
    I am now fascinated to know.

15. valis

valis Moderator

weyall...........that's gonna require a bit of googling on your part, me friend........I'm not entirely sure I still have the whole story, and I am insomniac who knows his way around the web.......:)

If you find something that settles it sure, let me know, eh?

v

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/901424

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice