1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow Internet Speeds

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jacksonsc56, Nov 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jacksonsc56

jacksonsc56 Thread Starter

Dear all,

I'm running a small network of around 40 users, 35 users on windows XP & Vista and a further 5 on Mac's OS X. We have an sDSL 1Mb connection, 2 x windows 2000 Servers, 1 PDC with AD, DNS and DHCP, the other with ISA 2000.

wall point-------sdsl Modem------Switch
    |_______ ISDN Backup
    |_______ ISA External Adaptor

Everything works fine but every so often the Internet grinds to a halt running at approx 10kb/s when it normally runs at around 846 kb/s. This problem occurs to both upload and download speeds. A reboot of the sDSL connection corrects the slowness.

Is some user hogging the bandwidth with some nasty app, malware infection or is it some faulty hardware. I've check the firewall logs and nothing has really come up.

If anyone can help me with a possible cause or help in locating the fault it would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks,
    Chris

2. memphiszen

memphiszen

Sounds like it is the sDSL modem. If it were malware or an app of some sort, it most likely wouldn't affect the entire network. I would check to make sure the modem is getting plenty of power, surge protected,etc (rule out power problems).

3. jacksonsc56

Hi Memhiszen,

The problem is effecting the entire user base. However I will be replacing it to rule it out.

Can heavy usage cause sDSL's to act like this? Also what kind of program could cause this kind of bottleneck? If the logs are not showing up anything, are they being bypassed?! Help much appreciated....

4. memphiszen

memphiszen

Heavy usage can cause any DSL line to slow down. That's one of the drawbacks of DSL. But it shouldn't be enought to cause it to come to a grinding halt, really. Also, distance from the nearest hub and line noise both affect performance of DSL lines.

I've seen peer-to-peer applications cause problems like this. They can bring a network to its knees. BitTorrent and others like it can cause major problems.

Also, perhaps someone is using a VoIP application. sDSL does not accomodate voice because it uses the full bandwidth for data going upstream and downstream.

5. jacksonsc56

Thanks for that, I'll check tommorrow for any BitTorrent clients running. There is one client using Skype, but nothing came up on the logs but I'll check with the user tommorrow.

Is it worth replacing the ethernet cards on isa, I'll have to confirm but I think one is running at 10Mb and the other at 100Mb?

6. jacksonsc56

Ok, No BitTorrent clients running, Skype is not being used either now. The ethernet cards have now been replaced but we are still experiencing slow speeds.

Anyone have any ideas?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/772924

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice