1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow Internet (weird problem!)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Klow, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Klow

Klow Thread Starter

Hi guys, I have a weird problem.

The main thing is that connection is slow, but not all the time.

It seems that the speed comes by waves. Sometimes it's fast, sometimes darn slow, giving me things like "the connection was reset" and other stuff, while the website I'm trying to reach is perfectly available, especially while I can access it at last after 4 or 5 attempts. Some actions just deny me the access to the website. For example, I try a complex action, and then it never loads. When I try again to reach the website, he doesn't respond after several attempts. Just like I'm blocked by something.

The other weird thing is that most of the time my browser doesn't display little images like on Google Images. The big ones, ok, but not the small ones. It loads and loads and then gives up displaying them and shows the alternate name instead, if there's any (and it's the case right now with some of the "post icons" and all the smilies and all the text formatting icons of the forum).

It's really annoying. I phoned my provider tech support, and they say my (wi-fi) modem is perfectly fine. There's just something weird in my computer config, and I don't know why. I'm using avast! for the anti-virus, and no changes when I disable it. My firewall is the XP one, and no changes when I disable it. No one is hacking my connection, I check that very often.

When I browse websites with streaming media such as YouTube, the videos load without any problem most of the time, but not always. So mostly it's just random websites and the (so tiny and light!) images not displaying.

I also head that a NVIDIA network controller that I had gives many problems to some people, and after removing it, there's no change.

So, any clues? I'm quite desperate and don't know what to do.

Thanks for your support!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Register at DSLReports and run their Line Quality Tests. Post the results link from the top of the test display page here.

The link to post is near the top of the page and looks like:

If you wish to post this result to a forum, please copy/paste this URL
    http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2357195 <- sample only, yours will obviously be different!
    and your IP will be disguised.

Copy/paste that link here.

Note: You will have to enable PING (ICMP) request response either in your router (if you have one), or in your computer's firewall for direct modem connections. This is very important to get the most important part of the test to run.

3. Klow

Klow Thread Starter

Thanks! I'll try that!

4. JohnWill

I'd run several of them, and post all the links. Maybe we can spot something, or perhaps eliminate the ISP as the source of the issue.

5. Klow

Klow Thread Starter

Oops! I had forgotten. My connection improved lately, and now it's back to crap. So I'm running to test right now.

6. JohnWill

If the connection condition varies through the day and week, it is most likely an ISP / interior wiring / modem issue.

7. Klow

Klow Thread Starter

8. Thalaric

Thalaric

From your DSL reports, you have solid connection with little to no loss. The ??? in the tracert tables are most likly the ISP routers that will not return ping. What type of network do you maintain at home?

9. Klow

Klow Thread Starter

Well, what do you mean by that? I have a wi-fi connexion, shared by two computers...

10. Thalaric

Thalaric

Well possible issue might be bandwidth usage on your network. Do you keep a secure network that requires and WEP key or do you keep it open? Have you checked both computers for malware?

11. Klow

Klow Thread Starter

No, I haven't checked both comps for malware. Actually the other comp is not connected well often - he's my neighbor's and she's not ther very often. For example she's not there today and the problem is present. My comp is clean. About the wep key, I did what I do for the network. We both have a wep key and no one else can access the network. I check from time to time and I always see only two comps with our names. Other suggestions? I'm completely lost...

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699611

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice