1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by zacheryc, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zacheryc

zacheryc Thread Starter

Hello everyone! I am seeking some advice and i am at my wits end with hughesnet. Ok I have hughesnet as my isp. I should be getting 100ish kbs during normal times and 300ish kbs during off times. Well for the past month most of the time i am getting from 1kbs-10kbs and now and then i get up to 40kbs now and then. I get those speeds even during their Unlimited download time. I have called hughesnet and they have reseted my my modem and made me do their self test on their site.

Now doing the speed test on their site it says i am downloading of at 200ish and uploading around 100ish and they say everything is fine. But i go to download a file and its down to 5.8kbs it took me allmost two hours to download a 19.4 meg patch for a game i play. i ran speedtest.com and it say i was downloading at .04 mps and i couldn't even upload.

So i thought all this time it was my isp but recently i was in the hospital and connecting to their internet was even slow. I was not expecting blazing fast speeds but it was the same i was from 5ish kbs to around 30 kbs.

So i am out of ideas :( I run avg and spybot s&d pretty reguarly to keep things clean. I am running windows 7. Um i don't know what else to put. Oh i did a trace route using google.com a few times. It request time out on most of the hops to 30 or gets just one response out of 3. The quickest it did was 12 hops and 7 of them was request time outs the others i had 1 to 2 responces. I do not know if it means anything but thought i would add that. If any info is needed i will gladly do my best to find and post it.It seems like maybe the problem is on my end i am not sure now. Thanks so much for any help :)

2. gfxrelay

gfxrelay

3. zacheryc

zacheryc Thread Starter

Thank you i will try that in a min! I wanted to add i ran a netstat and i found i think is a malware tracker called 007guard. Could this be slowing me down? Spybot s&d and malwarebite is not seeming to detect it. I honestly don't know how to run windows 7 in safe mode. it keeps just loading windows normly.

4. CJS23

CJS23

Leaving your computer to one side. What speed is your router connected at?

5. zacheryc

zacheryc Thread Starter

Ok i am back! Winsoc fix didn't seem to help. How do i see the speed of my router?

6. CJS23

CJS23

What is the model of your router?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!