1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

slow keyboard input sometimes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MaHubs, May 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaHubs

MaHubs Thread Starter

Jun 13, 2003
    I have a Dell Dimension 8200 and am using the Dell keyboard now that came with it. I've been noticing that at times when I type it takes forever for the characters to appear on the screen. Not always, but sometimes. I particularly notice this when I'm entering search words in Google. Sometimes I notice it when I am writing a new email message in Outlook. I'm using Firefox as my browser. My os is Windows XP.

What would cause this? My keyboard is plugged into the correct keyboard port on the back of the computer. Is this a sign that my computer hard drive needs cleaning up? I've been thinking of reformatting the hard drive but just can't bring myself to do it for a couple of months...

What areas should I look at to resolve this infuriating but intermittent problem?
  2. Courtneyc

Dec 6, 2003
    More than likely, it isn't either your hard drive nor your keyboard. Outlook does it (especially if you use Word as your email editor) because it has to load the fonts in order to display text on the screen. (WYSIWYG editors, such as Word, use your print drivers to display what you see on the screen. That's why they work.)

Firefox does so whenever add-ons that check what you are typing, are enabled. You have at least one--the search bar in the top right.

Try this with Firefox: Start it up then wait until everything is loaded. It takes about 3 seconds depending on what add-ons you have. I have 12, it takes about 5 seconds for everything to load and the system to become stable.

In any case, your keyboard delay has nothing to do with your hard drive.

Courtney sends...
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/578248