1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow Laptop, Not Sure if Ready Boost is Working

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by pranaman, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pranaman

pranaman Thread Starter

Hi,

I am in Laos and bought a used HP 6530b. It has Win 7 Ultimate. May not be an original copy. My friend has an Acer with Windows 7 Starter. Think it's legit.

Now, mine only has 1 GB of RAM, hers has I think 4 GB, so of course mine is much slower. Will get new memory soon, but seeing what I can do in the meantime.

1. I am using a 8 GB USB drive. The first time I plugged it in, ReadyBoost came up and asked if I wanted to use it. I said yes. I even formatted it to use specifically with Ready Boost. I take out the USB drive when I pack it up and move it around, and now when I plug it in, AutoPlay comes up, asks what I want to do with it - but it doesn't ask anything about using ReadyBoost. I thought that was odd and I don't know if the USB drive is doing anything. Lights will flash from time to time.

2. I read and tried all the tweaks and speed-up things I could do. Closed the fancy display stuff. I even used the services tweaking list from Black Viper. I think it helped. My Task Mgr shows that I am running 34 processes with no browsers open. They all seem to show, while my friend is running 43 in her task manager, but it only shows 12 of them.

I have 2 questions:

1. How can I confirm if ReadyBoost is working and doing anything, since it doesn't show up in the AutoPlay menu anymore?

2. Is there anything else I can do to safely speed up my system before I add more memory?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If your HP Compaq 6530b laptop has only 1 GB of RAM, you definitely need to add more.

This is the recommended 4 GB(2 GB X 2) DDR2 PC2-6400 SODIMM kit for it.

There was a lot of hype about ReadyBoost when Windows Vista was released, but in reality it doesn't really work.

Adding more RAM is the answer.

---------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!