1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow Lenovo Laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by TerynHexx, Mar 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TerynHexx

TerynHexx Thread Starter

I had my friend bring over his laptop because it started running slower than it should. According to him, he has more of a problem running games (particularly LoL), but that it just runs slower in general.

I've gone into the msconfig to look at the services and startup, and there was nothing suspicious there. The task manager says that the CPU has pretty large spikes, but all I could find through there was that windows defender was using quite a bit of the CPU. So, since he has ESET on his laptop, I disabled windows defender (also by my boyfriends advice too. He's an IT guy, but has been too busy lately to really help too much on this).

I've also ran the windows updates that it needed. I have run ESET, superantispyware, and malwarebytes, and they haven't picked up on anything.

I went to the AMD site to update the graphics drivers. Got the Catalyst Control Center installed from that.

The C drive was 8% fragmented, so I defragged that.

I got ccleaner from cnet as well and ran that. Cleared out the noticeably useless things.

It has made it run a tad bit faster, but there is still something bogging it down.

Manufacturer: Lenovo
    Model: Lenovo Win7 PC
    Processor: AMD E-450 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    RAM: 6.00 GB (5.60) usable

The C drive has 229 GB available out of 283 GB.

The only thing I can figure, is maybe the processor is low? He said it ran better when he got it then it does now, but I can't find anything wrong with it. I'm new to the teching, and have run out of ideas.

2. granthillsSA

granthillsSA

I also have had laptops come in that have nothing funny going on and very little files.
    Trying to speed up the system any witch way could not make a difference.
    Sometimes you just have to reload.

(Reloading will delete all programs and files. Backup your files first)

Lenovo has the simplest reload procedure:
    1 - After backing up your files, shut the laptop down.
    2 - Next to the power button is the "One key recovery" button. (Small Arrow)
    3 - Press it. That is all. Follow the onscreen instructions.

You will see a dramatic difference when it is done.

Of course, this is what I would do. Trust me, spending 5 hours figuring out why the system is slow is nothing compared to the 30 min it will take to reload.

Hope this helps
    Grant

3. Mark1956

Mark1956

At TSG we would usually only recommend using System Recovery as the last resort, most slow PC issues can be diagnosed and fixed without too much time being spent on them. Also, if it turns out to be a hardware issue a Recovery won't fix it, best to find out the cause first, then take the appropriate action.

One of the most common causes for slow PC issues is Adware, which your general Anti Virus and Anti Spyware programs will not remove. Also, if it is being caused by a bad infection (which may also not be detected by your Anti Virus) a Recovery most probably won't remove it.

It is up to you how you wish to proceed, but I would suggest we find the cause first.

You can start by running these scans and posting the logs produced. The first scan will produce a full report of what is on your system, the error logs and will flag any bad entries. The second scan will detect and remove Adware from your browsers.

SCAN 1
    Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) and save it to your desktop. Do not get tempted to download Regclean Pro.

Note: If you get a warning that the download could harm your system, please ignore it and allow the download to go ahead. FRST is perfectly safe and we would never ask you to download anything that isn't.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

• Double-click on FRST to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.
    • Press theScan button.
    • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run from. Please copy and paste it into your next reply.
    • The first time the tool is run, it makes another log (Addition.txt). Please also copy and paste that into your reply.

SCAN 2
    Click on this link to download : ADWCleaner Click on the Download Now button and save it to your desktop.

NOTE: If using Internet Explorer and you get an alert that stops the program downloading click on Tools > Smartscreen Filter > Turn off Smartscreen Filter then click on OK in the box that opens. Then click on the link again.

Close your browser and double click on this icon on your desktop: [​IMG]

You will then see the screen below, click on the Scan button (as indicated), accept any prompts that appear and allow it to run, it may take several minutes to complete, when it is done click on the Clean button, accept any prompts that appear and allow the system to reboot. You will then be presented with the report, Copy & Paste it into your next post.

[​IMG]

4. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Manufacturer: Lenovo
    Model: Lenovo Win7 PC
    Processor: AMD E-450 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    RAM: 6.00 GB (5.60) usable

That CPU is practically worthless......I am NOT surprised you are having problems with it....As mark suggested its prolly got a bunch of adware and possibly even an infection...BUT when all is said and DONE the CPU is going to hold you back this is NOTHING more than a low end BASIC use machine.

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

That as maybe, but lets do what we can with what he has.

I would call that machine a netbook not a laptop.

6. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew

Very true...Dave

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1121259

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice