1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

slow loading aps....

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tfavro, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tfavro

tfavro Thread Starter

got an odd problem. New computer. P4 2.8, 2gigs ram, 80gig serial hd, 80 gig ata100 Hd... and so on.

Everything was running fine. Now whenever I run an ap, it's slow. I can't figure it out. It takes a second or two before the system even starts to load the selected ap. (or so it seems) This problem appears to be the same with any application I try to load. Also, simple windows fuctions suffer from the same problem. Right right clicking on my computer and selecting "properties." Or when I run something in the control panel.

Anyone got any ideas? I have done everything I can think of. I checked for viruses, spyware, defraged the hd, and so on. I am out of ideas.

Please help!

-Tim Favro

2. jameso321

jameso321

When I buy new computers, I just love erasing them and setting them up completey myself.

Seems that the manufactures love to put all the extra stuff on new systems.

Clean installed XP systems run so nice.

jameso321

3. tfavro

tfavro Thread Starter

I agree with you. I guess I should have mentioned that I baught all the parts for this computer and put it together myself. As well as did a fresh install of xp. Guess it's not fresh anymore, not sure what happened.

-Tim

4. jameso321

jameso321

I guess its time to take this Adware route

here is a quote from a Senior Member

If you read these forums a lot you will recognize all this -
    Do any of the following if you have not already

Original Author: Bluespruce

5. jameso321

jameso321

I would use ctr-alt-del and look at the processes in the task manager. Anything there in the high%??

Also if you think something is running that is causing this you can look at the file monitor in real time almost with this tool.

Filemon from Sysinternals

http://www.sysinternals.com/files/NTFILMON.ZIP

If I think something is up to something ill turn that on for a while and look at the activity. I like it.

I have always been a fan of the Sysinternals apps

6. tfavro

tfavro Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info.

Too bad I had no other choice but to to a fresh install. I had no choice, for when all this great info was posted this forum was down! (last weekend). Still though, at least it's not all in vain. I have installed all the applications and read the guides, so I can keep myself protected for the future!

Thanks again for all your help!

-Tim

7. karbo

karbo Banned

I have the same problem and I've been writing about it everywhere (here included). It has nothing to do with adware or spyware. I ran every possible program to prove it. The only solution I think is to reinstall Windows XP.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!