1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow loading Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by straleno, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. straleno

straleno Thread Starter

In recent weeks, I have had an approximately 15 second delay in opening new windows in Internet Explorer windows. In my Googling for answers, I have seen that a fair number of people have reported the same thing in the past month.

On one bulletin board, it was suggested that the new Java update 6 might be to blame; the timing makes sense since I installed it December 1. I uninstalled it, and sure enough, my IE was back to its speedy self. I reinstalled it, and the 15 delay returned. So it seems to be true.

The question is, why? And can anything be done to fix it?

2. Flrman1

Flrman1

Hi straleno

Welcome to TSG! :)

The latest Java installs a BHO (Browser Helper Object). Removing the BHO helps in most cases.

Do you have the latest Java installed now?

3. straleno

straleno Thread Starter

Thanks for your quick reply!

I just uninstalled Java version 6 and installed version 5 from the Sun archive, and my browser seems to be working fine now, the way it did before. This appears to be a pretty significant bug w/version 6, if that's what it is.

Are you saying that I could indeed install 6, remove the BHO, and IE should work fine? How do I remove the BHO?

Thanks again!
    John

4. Flrman1

Flrman1

Actually, I'm pretty sure that if you download and save the setup files and do a custom install you can opt out of the BHO installation.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430545

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice