1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow loading of programs after connecting to the internet

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Senor Pez, Feb 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Senor Pez

Senor Pez Thread Starter

This is a rather odd...I just recently (by recently, I mean less than a week ago) completely wiped my HD and reinstalled windows. I got everything all set up again and reinstalled the connection software from my ISP (AT&T Dialup).

The first time I used it, everything worked fine. However, when I connect to the internet (either through the ATT program or through the windows connection) programs will load VERY slowly. But here is the strange part - if I have task manager open, I can see the process load up, but then the actual application will not load. After a few minutes, anything I opened during the first little while will all open at once. Odd...?

So I decided to do a little experiment. I would end one process at a time and saw if anything changed. If it didn't, I would re-open it. I found out that if I closed the process called "svchost.eve", the programs would all load. However, the svchost would re-load itself and when it did, there would be no user name associated with it in the Task Manager. Any program I opened after that also had no user name.

Anybody ever hear of this or have any suggestions?

2. tsunam

tsunam

svchost is a program in windows that is a link between the .dll libraries and the programs that need them. Ie you'll typically have multiple versions of the application running.

As to why stopping that and they load up i don't reallly have a idea about why it would do that. Thought knowing what svchost is might give you a lead

3. Senor Pez

Senor Pez Thread Starter

Yeah, I know what svchost does...but I couldn't find any rhyme or reason as to why it did what it did.

4. win98se

win98se

Is there any <Internet Connection Speed> setting that requires adjustment after the install?

5. Senor Pez

Senor Pez Thread Starter

There is nothing wrong with the actual internet...this problem (any program that I run - Word, Powerpoint, Media Player, etc - loads very slowly when I try to execute them) only occurs when I connect to the internet.

6. Senor Pez

Senor Pez Thread Starter

Another new thing...any program that was open when I log on to the internet freezes and won't respond. This lasts about 5 minutes from the time I log on.

7. Senor Pez

Senor Pez Thread Starter

And now, it seems that every once in a while, after I disconnect, programs will not open. This usually lasts longer.

One more oddity - at a LAN party where I had Broadband, the whole "not loading" thing didn't occur.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!