1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Slow loading Vista,bad Graphic card ?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by CFIannotti, Nov 26, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. CFIannotti

CFIannotti Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2036 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family, 320 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 288 GB (171 GB Free); D: 9 GB (5 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0RY007
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

SRVTAGVAL=55FMCF1

No Hate, I like Vista.
    Will a dead graphics card, cause my system to slow way down while trying to load
    Browsers
    Web Pages
    programs?
    A few days ago, my monitor went black, while using a program (paint).I did not have a browser running.
    I was able to use safe mode ONLY On my television which I use as a second monitor.
    switching to my on board VGA terminal, I am able to run in a normal mode.
    But,
    Everything runs slow. I did use the task manger, to see how much memory was being used, it drops as I watch, with no programs running at all. Right now, it is at 51%CPU / 54% memory.
    Normal before the problem would be as low as 10% and 20%
    Currently, my GEFORCE is not detected in the device manager list.
    Would a reformat reinstall of the OS help?
    Thoughts?
    will read this forum 6PM EST most days. Thanks in advance

2. Sponsor

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

Open the case and remove the Graphics card then see if it goes back to a more normal speed.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

According to that service tag number, you have THIS Dell Inspiron 530 desktop.
    It was purchased in December 2007 and came with Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit.

According to your log, it appears to still have its original Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 processor and 2 GB of DDR2 RAM and 320 GB hard drive.
    Its NVIDIA GeForce 8300 GS graphic card appears to have been removed and is now using its Intel G33 integrated graphic device.

I'm not able to determine what brand name and model number and wattage power supply it has, but I'm guessing it's a generic one that outputs 200 - 350 watts.

Replacing the graphic card and maxing it out with 4 GB of RAM should resolve the display and speed issues, but spending over $100.00 on a 10-year old desktop that's running a no-longer-supported Windows operating system isn't cost-effective at all.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. CFIannotti

Thanks,flavallee,
    Those are the specs of the system.
    Physically the card is in, but may have just died.
    Prior to this, it ran fine. $100 or so, vs. the higher price of a new computer with an OS I have used elsewhere, and do not like, is actually acceptable to me.
    Now, if a motherboard croaks...
    I will source a graphics card, if not another 8300, would the 8400 be usable?

6. flavallee

This is what the motherboard inside your Dell Inspiron 530 desktop looks like.

Capture.JPG

Unless that GeForce 8300 GS graphic card is a very old model that uses a PCI slot(#21-22), the PCI Express x16 slot(#24) is what a newer model graphic card uses.
    You can determine what you have when you look inside the case.

The GeForce 8300 GS and GeForce 8400GS that you mentioned are both very weak graphic cards, so you really should upgrade to a better-performing low-power model.
    The GeForce GT 710 is what I recommend and use in some of my older Dell desktops that have only a 250 - 305 watts power supply.

That desktop came with a 1 GB DDR2-667 memory module in 2 of its 4 DIMM slots(#3-4-5-6), so you do have the option of adding 2 more to the 2 empty slots.
    This will allow you to run it with its maximum supported amount of 4 GB(1 GB X 4) of DDR2-667 RAM.

7. CFIannotti

Thanks for the image, I do open the case and gently blow out any dust about once a year.
    . Yes I do have 2 open memory slots available. As used, the existing card's speed was fine for the flight simulator I used.
    The one main question I have,is if the existing card in a "dead" state is what is slowing down loading times, for webpages? Or, is using the on board graphics card the problem.?
    I am thinking I have 2 issues, slow loading of web content,such as my initial loading a browser, which has Google as the "home" page, and the dead card. A test tonight with only the monitor plugged into the card's VGA connector showed the same "safe mode" fuzzy graphics.
    The CPU currently is at 50 % usage area. And the memory "use" or available(?) is at 60 % ish.when it was slow,I would load task manager, and watch, and the CPU would occasionally go to 100%

8. flavallee

Version 9 is the last version of Internet Explorer that can be used in Windows Vista, so I know you're not using Internet Explorer 11.
    What browser name and version are you using?

I'm a die-hard Internet Explorer user and don't use any other browser in my Windows 7 and Windows 10 computers, so I can't comment on what browsing issues the other browsers(Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, etc.) may have.

Depending on what internet speed you have and what browser settings you're using and what browser add-ons/plug-ins are enabled, that can greatly affect webpage loading time and the content that's displayed.

9. CFIannotti

Thanks for the response.
    I use only Chrome and Firefox.
    Comparing the speeds of both tonight, FF is faster. I do have only 2 or 3 add ons, and will go back and disable them all on Chrome.There have been rumblings that certain add ons do slow down web surfing.
    Running the Internet speed test, I am 17.8 download, 2,27 upload.These are the usual numbers when I occasionally test it.
    Thanks for the help.You can lock this thread, If I have more specific needs I will post a different subject thread.

10. flavallee

You're welcome. :)

11. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

I still think removing the graphics card is the only sure way to tell if it's affecting the speed.

(You can mark the thread solved yourself with the Solved button at the top of your webpage).

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!