1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow Loading Web Pages With Vista and Wireless Internet

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by roscolo, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. roscolo

roscolo Thread Starter

Purchased a Compaq V6210 with Vista Home Premium. Works great, but decided to get a different notebook and my sister will get this one.

Purchased a Gateway with Vista Home Premium. OK notebook, but 4200 rpm HD was too slow AND it took literally 1-2 minutes to load web pages (via wireless) that the Compaq loads in 2-3 seconds (or less).

Don't know what caused this and didn't care because I was returning it anyway.

Purchased a Toshiba Satellite A135-S4467 (Intel Core Duo T5200, 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM) with Vista Home Premium. Great notebook, but has the same slower than dialup web-surfing characteristics of the Gateway. Don't have a clue what the most likely cause of this is. Can't do a clean re-install because none of the manufacturers include the Vista install disk, just the lame restore CD (except the Gateway, got to hand it to them there, they included a restore disk and a true Vista install disk).

Perhaps there is a simple fix for this? Someone told me to remove Toshiba's Config Free. Tried that and it didn't help. Any ideas?

2. roscolo

roscolo Thread Starter

UPDATE: Just started the tech support process with Toshiba. Tech said they are getting "a lot of calls" on this issue, so buyer beware.

Did get fast internet in Safe Mode with all Startup programs disabled, so it must be software related. They are having me run the recovery disk....This is why a good computer seller will include the Vista install disk (not just the recovery disk that keeps all the crap-ware). If I'm going to do the recovery, I would much rather do the clean reinstall which would solve the crapware problem and probably the slow internet prob as well.

HP must know something Gateway and Toshiba do not, however, as the $600 Compaq V6210 has worked perfectly and very fast from the start (they do not include a Vista install disk either, however.)

3. roscolo

roscolo Thread Starter

SOLVED! OK, just got off phone with Toshiba tech support and I get credit for solving this problem! While they sent me to Microsoft website for some some "phishing filter" patches (ummm, my first step towards solving this problem was to disable the "phishing filter"). Then they were looking at hardware issues, even had me do a system restore, which is pretty worthless because all the crapware is still there.

Anyways, the Gateway I purchased had the exact same problem and it had McAfee AntiVirus pre-installed and, yes, the Toshiba also has McAfee. Meanwhile, the Compaq has Norton pre-installed. My theory went towards the McAfee antivirus and once uninstalled, the Internet connection on this laptop is lightning fast!

So, if you bought a new Toshiba Satellite A135-S4467 (and probably a whole bunch of other models) or a Gateway MT6451 (and probably a whole bunch of other models) with Vista Home Premium and McAfee anti-virus pre-installed and you are having problems with slow loading web pages....UNINSTALL THE MCAFEE ANTIVIRUS (you'll want to replace it with something else).

4. jsteinb456

jsteinb456

Your a genius, I just brought home a new Gateway laptop with Vista premium and I could not understand why the internet was worse than dial up. I found your post and I am very greatful for the info . I uninstalled McAfee and like magic I am surfing at lightning fast speeds. THANKS AGAIN!!!!

jsteinb456
    Raleigh , NC

5. Anastasia15

Anastasia15

I don't understand why oh why do these companies load the system with promo items that will inhibit the progress of the system? I suppose they think that everyone is a computer genious and that people are not going to stress over the chaos hee hee.

6. roscolo

roscolo Thread Starter

Agreed! According to Toshiba tech and Best Buy, tons of people were calling about this issue. Who knows how many computers were returned for a refund because of this. Still find it hard to believe that tech support was literally sending me to Microsoft's website and telling me to type "slow internet vista" into the search bar! And hard to believe that no one caught this issue before all these machines hit the shelves.

7. Anastasia15

Anastasia15

I'm very sorry you had to go through all that. I can't stand calling tech support or customer service for any matter. Usually, they will outsource your to somewhere in the third world where people will have less info than you. Why did they direct you to Microsoft?

Oh and McAfee is junk! In my opinion at least.

8. roscolo

roscolo Thread Starter

I don't know...I'm was kinda hoping they would reimburse me for all the cell phone minutes I spent on the phone. Or maybe a thanks from Toshiba for nailing down the problem. Hopefully a lot of people will find this thread and find the fix themselves.

9. defender110

defender110

I had this same issue but it was a clean install off an RTM disk so there was no third party software installed.

I also went down the phishing filter and autotuning paths but had no luck.

I noticed it was general network slowness not just web pages so I checked the wireless settings on my router and the only thing I hadn't changed was the channel the router was broadcasting on. I changed it from 11 to 7 (just picked any one available) and it started working immediately.

The strange thing is that I didn't have the issue when I was running XP

10. alexandersengarc

alexandersengarc

i am still having a problem with the internet. I turned off the phishing filter tried firefox have no security running(disabled them all) and I have a mac book pro using bootcamp. I used to run windows xp on bootcamp and it worked fine but now I don't know what to do.:confused:

11. palmbeauties

palmbeauties

What roscolo said about fixing the slow web page problem is correct. I have done this as well and it worked like a charm., That program is terrible and should not be in any pc. I was not able to load pages for over 2 minutes and also kept saying it was worst than dial up. Now I seem to be fine as well. :) (y)

12. 22wrf

22wrf

Well, whatever seemed to work for Roscolo on his computer doesn't work on mine. I have a brand new Dell E520 that came with McAfee. I thought I was really going to experience some speed after having stuck with my pentium II for the last 8 years. Talk about slow. Stuff that came right up on the Pentium II withing a couple of seconds has taken as long as 45 seconds on the new Dell. So I got rid of all of the McAfee stuff, and there has been NO CHANGE whatsoever. What else can a person try to solve this problem?

13. stefanbech

stefanbech

I picked up a new IBM ThinkPad T60P (Wide) running Vista Business, and I am experiencing the same problems with an extremely slow wireless connection. I get the same slow performance on the wireless network in my office as in my home.

The second I disable the wireless and plug in the cable directly to the router (ZyXeL) everything runs perfectly. I also tested connecting an Apple AirPort to the router (via cable) and connected directly to the AirPort as an access point instead of connecting to my normal wireless network, and then everything was working just fine for some reason (almost as fast as when I connect directly to the router via cable)!

The really weird thing is that I get really quick download rates on at least one website (www.dailyrush.dk) where I can download files at 1.1 MB/s (I should have 15 mbit downstream). The web pages of that website still load pretty slow though when I'm browsing. Most other websites that I have tested load insanely slowly, both when I'm just browsing the pages and when I'm downloading files. For example a 1024 x 695 pixel JPG on Flickr.com might take several minutes to load, or simply time out. The Google front page sometimes takes 15 seconds to load.

I have my old laptop parked right besides the new one, both connected to the same router on wireless, and the old laptop (IBM ThinkPad T41 running XP) performs fine - downloading anywhere from 10 to 100 times faster!

It also takes forever to connect to VPN, perhaps 15 or 20 seconds on the Vista laptop and no more than 2 seconds on the XP machine.

When I ping www.google.com in a command prompt I get some packet loss (between 25 and 100 %) but reasonable ping times averaging about 45ms which is the same as on my old laptop.

I have tried pretty much everything:

• Disabling Windows Firewall
    • Disabling TCP/IP v6 and those other entries in the wireless adapter configuration that are new in Vista
    • Disabling security on the router entirely
    • Changing security on the router to WPA and WPA2
    • Changing the channel on the router (tried several available channels)
    • Switching between 802.11 a/b/g modes on the router
    • Booting up in safe mode (heard that worked for someone with a similar problem)
    • Updating the wireless adapter driver to the newest version
    • Installing all available updates from Windows Update
    • Moving my laptop really close to the router (duh)
    • Uninstalling MacAfee
    • Uninstalling Bullguard
    • Uninstalling a bunch of pre-installed IBM stuff

I have come across several threads online where people have had the exact same problem and solved it by uninstalling the pre-installed MacAfee software. My laptop came with MacAfee too but I uninstalled it right away and installed Bullguard instead. When I noticed the connection problems I uninstalled Bullguard too, but little did it help.

I really hope that someone can help me out here ... I'm kind of running out of ideas :-( Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Stefan

14. stefanbech

stefanbech

Wee, finally solved the problem after struggling with this thing for a bloody week!

All I had to do was change the Power Options to "Maximum Performance" both when the laptop is on battery and plugged in. That did the trick.

Cheers,

Stefan

15. wtc

wtc

Roscolo mate, I was about to chuck my new Dell Vostro 400 out the window when I found your solution. I have never NEVER had any luck with MacAfee products. They have always caused problems. when I ordered the Dell I chose not to have the MacAfee stuff, but they installed it anyway.

I removed it and the problem went away - as if by magic.

Now I only have to figure out why a Remote Desktop connection to an XP Pro machine won't work.

Thanks again.

D(y)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!