Slow Machine

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mjordan2nd

WoW (World of Warcraft) has been working extremely slowly for me, lately. I noticed this yesterday, the first time I played since coming home from vacation. On my vacation, I downloaded bittorrent. That is the only thing I changed as far as I know. Now, all of a sudden, WoW is running like I'm in Orgrimmar the whole time. I don't know what I might have done since this has never happend before. I did 2 virus scanse, 2 spyware searches (using AVG's anti-virus software and Lavasoft's Adaware), defragged my machine, packet sniffed my machine, and checked the processes multiple times. Everything seems okay to me. Virus scanning and spyware scanning turned up negative. Defragging didn't seem to do anything for me. All packets sent and recieved over a period of 3 minutes were expected -- meaning there isn't anything utilizing my network without me knowing. I don't know if the processes are correct, but it doesn't look like anything is running that shouldn't be. Furthermore, even Yahoo pool gets extremely sluggish when I'm running 2 instances of firefox or if I get an invitation or something. My latency is <100 on WoW. I don't know what could possibly be going wrong. Checking the WoW server forums, there doesn't seem to be any problem with burning legion, and i've never heard anyone having problems with WoW and Bittorrent being on the same machine (mind you, bittorrent is always off when I play WoW or pool). After uninstalling bittorrent, my machine was still slow. The only thing I've changed since then is I've got bittorrent and the new patch. I don't know anything else that could be effecting the performance of my machine.

Any help would be appreciated. I really don't want to have to format this thing.

If this helps, here's my process list:

(apparently I can't post links)

mjordan2nd

Hello, and thanks for the welcome.

Well, like I said, I downloaded BT four days ago, and I've gotten one movie off of it, that's it.

Anyway, here's the log:

Code:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:10:34 AM, on 7/15/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\D-Link AirPlus\AirPlus.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell QuickSet] C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - Global Startup: D-Link AirPlus.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.musicmatch.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.musicmatch.com (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1096224235076
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Fairly clean log in my opinion.

Did you put musicmatch in your trusted zones?

How much ram do you have and is it all showing when you right click my computer (from the start menu) then select properies.

Also, be sure your system isn't running hot. Can you check the temps via your bios setup?

mjordan2nd

I don't recall putting MMJB in my trusted zone, but I'm sure I probably did so while installing it.

Properties on my computer says I have 512 MB of ram, and I'm unsure of how to check the temp.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
When the system is first starting up, you should see some info scroll by indicating what key to hit to access the bios setup. Usually it's DEL, F1 or F2.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Also, you might pop the case open to be sure the cpu fan and the video card fan are spinning freely. Dust build up inside can also cause the system to overheat and under perform.

mjordan2nd

It's a notebook. I've never actually done that. :( Sorry if I sound like a complete moron.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Sorry, scratch that suggestion then. I didn't see where you mentioned it was a notebook.

Is the fan on the back of the case spinning? Does the bottom of the computer feel very hot?

mjordan2nd

The fan is working, and the bottom is fairly hot, but no hotter than it normally is.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Does it run slow in safe mode as well? Or only when you are online? Does it run normally anytime?

mjordan2nd

It runs normally for the most part, but Pool and WoW, and now I've noticed Chess as well, seem to be slower than they should be. Pool and Chess run normally for 70% of the time, but at seemingly random intervals they'll get extremely slow. For instance, I'll move my mouse to move the cue stick, but the cue stick doesn't actually move till 30 seconds later. On WoW it's running slow all the time -- like I was near an extremely populated city, except this happens everywhere. Don't know if that makes sense. Guess you'd have to be a fan of MMORPGs, but yea.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Don't even know what MMORPG is :D

I'm wondering about the video card heating up?

mjordan2nd

Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. They usually seem to slow the machine down in crowded areas because of the video card or memory not being able to handle it I think. I may be wrong about that, but I believe that's what the reason is.

The video card may be heating up. I don't know how to tell, though. I left my machine off for a while, and turned it back on -- it was doing the same thing. I've decided to format it and see how that goes. Hopefully that'll solve my problems. Thanks for all of your time and help. I'll keep you updated.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online