1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow metronome question and seeking suggestions.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Streetcar, Apr 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Streetcar

Streetcar Thread Starter

I'm looking to buy, use (or make) a very slow metronome.

I've already got an electronic metronome, with a bleep and /or a blinking light that works on the beats, but it only counts beats per minute and goes down to 30 beats per minute, (1beat every two seconds), which is fine for most things musical.

However, I want to count a regular beat and direct action every 3, 4 seconds and 5 seconds to queue in different people or instruments, and I want each count to be visual, and not make a sound.
    Currently, I'm using a big display digital stopwatch and counting and pointing in 3 seconds lots (3,6,9,12, etc.) or 4 seconds lots (4,8,12,16, etc) or 5 seconds lots (5,10,15,20, etc).

My research in music shops could not find a very slow metronome, that does such a slow function, so I wondered there was anything that you knew that can use to do this function or if I could get a script for Excel as visual basic macro to do this, in some way?

I've found this link that does one beat every 3 seconds, but it's only audio and not visual.
    http://a.bestmetronome.com/?

2. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

It shouldn't be too hard to find a script in python or powershell that does a countdown and will do a flash or something. I am not much of a programmer, but you can go to github or stack overflow for help. i also think it may have a little better result for you if you can get a mod to move this to the software forum if you go that route. you can get deep into it and put together an arduino metronome with led's that blink if you want to. i did a search for arduino metronome and found this cool one and this one. you can adapt either one of them to your needs, i'm sure. it looks like fun, also.

3. Streetcar

Streetcar Thread Starter

Dear kanaitpro,
    Thanks for the suggestions and the links.
    I thought it wouldn't be too complex in visual basic as a macro, in Excel, but I'm not familiar with the programming options you proposed as I'm old school basic and your options sounds complex, but I will follow it up :).

As for building a arduino metronome with led's or something similar, I have concerns if they will run slow enough as the specifications are unclear and they seem to have a floor of one beat a second.

However, for now, until I get some clear programming or arduino construction specifications guidance, I'm considering videoing my metronome light at one flash a second and slowing the video down, in Microsoft video editor, so I have a range of videos, on my phone at one flash every one, two,three, four and five seconds. This might work in the short term.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147347

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice