1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow Mini Toshiba Laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by baghdadhaiji117, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. baghdadhaiji117

baghdadhaiji117 Thread Starter

I left my Toshiba Satellite mini laptop (NB255) with Windows 7 with my girlfriend while I am in Afghanistan. We skype all the time but she has a hard time using the laptop for browsing the internet. It constantly freezes and seems to be over loaded while running. I had this same issue while using it in Iraq for a year. I have guided her to clean up disk space, stop start up programs, deleted cookies, etc. . . Does anyone know how to help her speed this mini laptop up?? Also I am looking to buy another laptop with a max budget of 2500, I need a biometric scanner built in with a webcam, any suggestions??? I have always been fond of the Sony Vaios. Thanks again for this, I will be donating some $$$.

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

J :
    Hello & Welcome to TechGuy.org

Thanks for providing your Toshiba info. It would be helpful to know a bit more. Please run this forum's system info utility & post the information.
    http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Valuable_links

Could the problem be dust? Check the vents for dust, hair & other debris. Do NOT blow air INTO the computer.

When did the computer last work well? When did the problem begin? Sometimes the exact date is important.

What changed; a hardware or software installation or removal; an update to W7 [ check your W7 update history ] or update to your anti malware or other antimalware program / programs ]; an update to Java or an Adobe program for example?

Do you refer to overall computer performance or internet surfing performance?

If overall performance, start the computer in safe mode. Report the results.

If surfing performance, use IE9 with no add ons.
    start > programs / all programs > accessories . system tools > IE9 no add ons.
    edit
    as a test
    end edit

I have laptop with a finger print scanner. I REALLY REALLY dislike it.

Thanks for serving. Please be safe.

RF123

3. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

another thing to try is to check the event viewer. often times the most overlooked item. and if you know about computers and she doesn't, you can also remote into hers for free, bing it under remote access for computers for free or something like that. and also try an alternate web browser like firefox, chrome, or opera. and don't forget msconfig, you can type that into the search box at the start menu and turn off unnecessary programs at startup. and i would uninstall java completely, i never use it and it's a big time security vulnerability.

my unit deployed to afghanistan in 2002, but i had to stay at ft campbell on rear det. keep your head down and stay safe.

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

If the problem is global slowness & said slowness goes away in safe mode, using the system configuration utility [ msconfig as mentioned by kanaitpro ] , in what is known as clean boot troubleshooting can help sort things out, sometimes. I like the system config utility.

Yes, an alternate browser might help if the issue is only internet surfing. I suggest IE9 with no add ons because if the user doesn't have FF or GC installed, another step to the troubleshooting, and time for the user can occur. There is nothing wrong with kanaitpro's suggestion. I am merely offereing my rationale.

Keep us posted.

RF123

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089368

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice