Slow Network connections

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

awygant

I had DSL at my old house with no problems.

I moved into a new house last week. When I moved in, I plugged my modem in and had a connection temp from the prior tenants. My computer that was hard wired worked fine. As well as my wifes computer which is setup wirelessly upstairs. SHe was receiving a full signal, she was able to surf the internet, download emails fine no problems for a week.

My DSL service got turned on, and I had to call tech support to get my computer to service the modem. Fine no problem, getting a good speed. Now, even though my computer which is hard wired was not able to surf. She said as soon as OUR DSL service got turned on it worked fine. BUt as soon as tech support had me reset my modem.

Her computer now can find the network but the signal is horrible. I mean bad. I did not move the location of the modem, nothing and now her computer will not work at all.....

Any suggestions????

TerryNet

Terry
Your middle paragraph is pretty garbled, so I might be missing some important information.

It sounds like maybe you reset a modem/router combo to factory settings and now the wireless signal is horrible. If this is the case, reconfigure the wireless signal the way you had it before.

It could also be coincidence--maybe a neighbor fired up a wireless network on the same channel. Are there other networks visible?

awygant

thanks for replying....No other visible networks. Gurantee no other networks close. What happened is when MY DSL service got turned on it (IT) support made me reconfig the modem with the correct password. Some how I had the wrong password. Go Figure....

But as soon as I did that my other computer went in the toilet as far as a signal. Are you saying to remove the connection and re add it on the other computer.....

TerryNet

Terry
That's not quite what I was saying, but since there are no other signals around your idea is probably better.

Does "the signal is horrible" mean a very weak signal? If so, is it possible you accidently loosened the router's antenna when resetting it? If you meant something other than very weak, please be specific. What happens when she tries to connect?

awygant

"the signal is horrible" does mean very weak. I have four bars as far as an indicator of strneght. And the go from all green to 1 yellow and than the computer states that it can not received the signal anymore. Than it will not let me do anything. I also checked the Ant and it is plugged in and in good connection.

It is really weird, when I first turn on the computer and try to access the internet it does fine for about 2 minutes than the signal gets weak and will not reconnect..

Do you think buying a signal booster or something would help?

TerryNet

Terry
"It is really weird, when I first turn on the computer and try to access the internet it does fine for about 2 minutes than the signal gets weak and will not reconnect."

Recently I started getting a similar problem, but not as severe. The signal stays strong but the reported speed goes from 54 to 36 or 22 or lower, then varies up and down. Since I have no "internal" interference like microwave, TV, cordless phone, etc., I'm guessing that a neighbor maybe has a new wireless network and is not broadcasting SSID. Since I seldom lose connection, and don't use that computer all that much, I haven't yet investigated.

Try changing the channel; you are probably using 1, 6 or 11; try the other two. And make sure you haven't moved an interference generator into the path between router and computer.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts