1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow Network - Need Help Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TERM, Aug 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TERM

TERM Thread Starter

Recently, one of our old servers died. It was expected, so it wasn't to big of a problem.

I got a new server up and running, it was working awesome. So much faster than before. Anyways I re-installed my Panda Business Secure and pushed out the communication agent to all of the office PC's.

After doing this rollout of the communications agent, the network seems to be slowed to a crawl. Is there some free program that I can get or use to check why its going so slow? I am new to this job and unfortunately have no one to help me, so Im completely at a loss here and people are slowly getting mad.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. O111111O

O111111O

What's it plugged into? (Switch, what model, what type of cable, etc)

What type of server?
    What's processor load? (CPU, disk IO, etc.)
    What processes are loaded? (Look at taskman)
    What's it connected to? (Do netstat -no)

For what it's worth, a very common problem on switched 10/100 networks is Link Speed/Duplex. I wouldn't exactly call FastEthernet link negotiation reliable. If the NIC is forced 100/FULL, or the switchport is forced 100/FULL - the other side will never try PHY negotiation and will more often than not end up with mismatch duplex.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/393846

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice