1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

slow network?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by David McKeal, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. David McKeal

David McKeal Thread Starter

I'm new to Networking. I have a Windows XP Pro and a Windows XP Home system "workgroup" networked and everything works...but very slowly. For instance, if I access the My Documents folder located on the primary system (XP Pro) with the secondary system (XP home), it may take upwards of 10 seconds to open the folder. The folder contains about a dozen sub folders, 800 Mbs of data and maybe 3500 files. How long should it take to access the folder? Some of my less populated folders also seem slow. What should I expect as far as the amount of time required to access large or small folders? Thanks.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Delete the following key from the Registry (after saving)

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameS
    pace\{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}

The default is for computers to search scheduled tasks on the remote computers, and this seems to take forever with 2K and XP. There is no reason to search the scheduled tasks, deleting this key kills the search. If you save the key first, and you don't like the result, you can add it back into the registry, good as new. :)

3. David McKeal

I deleted the key as you suggested but there was no obvious difference in the access time. I counted it off...20 seconds for my Word Docs folder. Other less populated folders don't seem to take so long.

When I installed this computer to the network, it accidentally defaulted to the "MSHome" workgroup where my original workgroup had been "McKeal MSHome". I managed to get rid of the "MSHome" workgroup (I'm not sure exactly how) and now only have "McKeal MSHome" but I wonder if something could have gone awry in the process.

My Word Docs folder has about 600 files but I would not think that would be enought to slow things down very much.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Nope, that should be an issue. FWIW, some folks claim that binding only NETBEUI to file and print sharing speeds up XP browsing, and there's also a bunch of tweaks you can do to the TCP/IP parameters to potentially speed network file access. Some of the things I did to speed up my XP machines:

Under registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentColtrolSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters

BcastNameQueryCount: was 3, changed to 1
    BcastQueryTimeout: was 750, change to hex 20
    NameSrvQueryTimeout: was 1500, change to hex 20

These changes really juiced up my browsing speeds.

5. David McKeal

Thanks for the help. I'm leaving on vacation in the morning so will wait until I return to try the tweaks. I will check the forum then for additional advice. Thanks to all.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170803

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice