1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by netplusdev, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. netplusdev

netplusdev Thread Starter

We have a network of the following:
    40 workstations dell GX640 with Pentium D 2.8GHz processor and 1 GB Ram running Windows vista Ultimate..
    our servers are:
    Windows server 2003 R2 with Active Directory and SQL server.
    ISA server 2006
    Exchange Server 2007
    all connected through 3com switches and cat 5e cables on the same subnet...

My problem is that when i'm working on a workstation prepping it with windows it works fine and fast.. as soon as it joins the domain you can easily feel the speed go down and the PC becomes much slower.. i have many complaints from users of slow computers...

Is this from the network or is this from Windows Vista???

Thanks

2. N E Key

N E Key

You don't give any specs on the server, but running AD, SQL, ISA and Exchange on one box seems a bit much. You could be having memory issues, or beating the swap file. What are the specs on the server? Sysinternals had a great free utility called Process Explorer, you can get it now from Microsoft - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/processexplorer.mspx.
    When you have a slowdown, execute the file on the server and see what processes are running and if any are working overtime. There's not install, just download and execute.

3. netplusdev

I'm sorry i was unclear i will give you the full details:
    The servers aren't all on the same box they are as follows:

Server 1 (box 1): Windows Server 2003 R2 Running Active directory and SQL server Standard edition. This server is an HP ProLiant ML370 G5 with Dual Core Xeon 1.86GHz processor and 2GB of RAM.

Server2 (box 2): Windows Server 2003 R2 64-bit Running Exchange Server 2007. This is a Dell Optiplex 745 with Core 2 Duo 2.13 processor and 2 GB RAM.

Server 3 (box 3): Windows Server 2003 R2 64-bit Running Exchange Server 2007 Edge Transport Role. This also is a Dell Optiplex 745 with Core 2 Duo 2.13 processor and 2 GB RAM.

Server 4 (box 4): Windows Server 2003 R2 running ISA Server 2006. This is a Pentium 4 3.0Ghz processor and 1 GB of RAM.

That's about it i'm now working on a fifth server for sharepoint services on a separate box.

Thanks

4. shah5589

shah5589

I had the same problem earlier, my server HP Prolaint ML350 got Exchange,ADC,Group Policies,Tally Server + Data which is been access by 50 to 60 Users.

I found lots of services running on server, i have stopped DHCP Server,TALLY SERVER and Group Policy which would be the problem making my users slow to access server and made separate server for Group Policy.

I would suggest you to stop those services which are not good enough to implement through server eg. DHCP (can be possible through router) .

5. netplusdev

there are plenty of services but the servers don't seem to be that busy...
    What is the average no of processes or services?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648979

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice