1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lotofweeds, May 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lotofweeds

lotofweeds Thread Starter

I have been trying to isolate and correct a "networking condition". I use "Speedtest.net" to determine my upload and download speeds. My home has been pre-wired with coaxial cable. It has a 4-way signal splitter. I've tryed 2 different Linksys routers with the same results. I have a PC in the bsmt. and use my laptop upstairs.
    With my PC in the bsmnt. I am able to elliminate the router by pluging an ethernet cable directly into the HS modem which elliminates my speed problem(12Mbts/3Mbts).
    With a router connected my download speed 400Kbts, with and upload speed of around 3Mbts.
    Any thoughts anyone. 4-way splitter? or router? Thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Let's have the exact make and model of the modem to start.

3. lotofweeds

1st was a Linksys "Wireless-G (WRT54G) with 2 antenas, and the 2nd and current one is a Linksys "RangePlus" (WRT110) that I set to "G" only.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A 4-way splitter is not ideal, but since you get your full speed and no trouble connecting to the modem, your ISP, your coax, your splitter and your modem are all OK.

Make sure you have the latest firmware upgrade for the router; then reset it to factory default settings and reconfigure it.

Are you getting those pitifully slow downloads with ethernet or only with wireless?

5. lotofweeds

Thanks. I'll check on the latest firmware and give it a try when I return in a week. I'm curious as to how you came about elliminating the 4-way splitter?

6. lotofweeds

The modem is a Motorola "Surfboard Mod:SB5120"

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I assumed that the 4-way splitter was still in play for this test. If so, it must not be causing the problem.

8. JohnWill

The cable modem requires minimal attenuation of the signal. What you should have is a 2:1 high quality splitter directly at the service entrance. One cable from the splitter (using high quality cable like RG-6U), should go directly to the modem. Any TV's should be fed with additional splitting off the other leg of the 2:1 splitter.

9. lotofweeds

JohnWill- That sounds like a good plan. When I get back I'll pick up that 2:1 splitter and an additional 3way splitter for the TV's. Once I get this high speed problem fix I intend to install a "wireless access point" for an internet connection to a HD TV.

10. JohnWill

I know that when I had Comcast, I had to run a better cable for my modem for very similar issues.

11. lotofweeds

Thanks JohnWill, I'll change the cables involved since I also am dealing with COMCAST. Thanks again. I'll let you all know how I make out when I return.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I certainly do not disagree with "should have is a 2:1 high quality splitter directly at the service entrance." I almost posted the same advice.

But if he is getting "12Mbts/3Mbts" with a computer connected directly to the modem, why is the 4-way splitter a possible cause of "download speed 400Kbts" with a router between the computer and modem? Does having a router instead of a computer connected to the modem make that big a difference if the modem is getting a weaker signal?

13. JohnWill

Terry, you're right! I don't know how I read into that the direct connection was failing. Sorry for giving bad information here. :eek:

14. lotofweeds

I want to thank you all for your help. I have been jumping through hoops since I came back. I isolated it to my new Linksys WRT110 Range Plus router. I so show 3 bars out of 5 for a signal level, but NO SPEED. The only thing that I changed was set it fo "G" only. Is there other things to set in the router to make iy go faster or is this one just no good out of the box?

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I want to make sure about a couple things, so am repeating most of a previous post ...

To be more clear, the last question refers to an ethernet connection between computer and router.

And, is "3 bars out of 5 for a signal level" in the same room with the router?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/823669

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice