Slow Networking on NT computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

relcalif

Hi,

How do you remove the networking completely from NT so that you can do a clean reinstall of networking?

My Dell running WinNT is having problems with networking. It takes 20 to 30 seconds to connect to another computer on my peer to peer network. The other two computers, running Win95 and Win98, connect to the NT in a second or two. I have tried to remove and reinstall all the networking but the problem persists. I also used all the same settings on another NT computer with a fresh install of NT and it worked great.

The whole point of this exercise is to get fast connections no my NT computer. In experimenting with the newer install of NT it slowed to the same slow speed of the problem computer once I added an IP address of one of the other computers into the Primary WINS Server in the TCP/IP DNS configuration. Removing it did not correct the problem. In fact nothing seems to fix the slow connection once it happens. Does any of this make sense? Can you help me?

Thanks,

For removing the network, just log on locally and remove all network components from network properties. After you reinstall it, re-apply your service pack.

What is the rest of your network setup comprised of...hardware wise....NIC's, Hubs, routers, etc.
WHat network protocols are you using other than TCP/IP? If you don't use the others, remove them. Test out your cables to make sure they are wired correctly......just because they are called straight thru cables doesn't mean pair continuity isn't important.

relcalif

I did try what you described and it worked exactly the same. However I don't think I ran the service pack. Maybe that will help.

The only other part other than NIC's is a 3Com 10 mbps hub. I am suspicious of the hub but that's not the problem. I have another NT partition on this computer and the networking works great so it has to be the set up. I am trying to learn how to repair the problem in case the new partition get this problem also. On reason I have not run the service pack is that I have to do it through the Internet and it is very slow. I cannot find a file download page on the Microsoft web site so that I can rerun the SP. You wouldn't know where it is would you?

Thanks,

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online