Slow NIC?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CAKIII

Hey all, I semi-recently bought a new pcmcia card for my laptop, a Netgear GA511, because I was upgrading my network slowly to gigabit. Before, with the integrated NIC on the laptop I would get 5-7MByte/s down and 3-6MByte/s upload on 100 mbit LAN. On the gigabit card connected at 1000 mbit, I get 10-15MByte/s down, but for some reason, upload will go no faster that 2MByte/s. It's not the computer I am trying to send to because I have tried to different computers and get the same result. It's not really a major problem, but it does get annoying.

Thanks,
Corey

What protocol are you using to upload?

You could test the REAL upload speed by using various different network bench tools. I believe sis soft sandra has one.

One general rule of thumb. Do NOT use Windows File Sharing as a benchmark. You will get a faster speed using a protocol like FTP.

CAKIII

I'm guess TCP, if that's even what you meant... for the most part I use a FTP server because one of the computers is Linux, the other is Windows XP Home, which is set as a network drive.

SiS soft Sandra says around 4134 kB/s for network bandwidth to the Windows one.

I have a program called DU meter that monitors my network connection bandwidth.

Other point which i just overlooked, are you using a gigabit switch? Is your connection reported at 1000mbit?

Check 'ifconfig' on your linux box
Check the Local Area Connection status on your windows box

Because, in theory, ignoring ALL overheads you should get around ~125MBps on a 1000mbps connection, likewise on a 100mbps connection you should get ~12.5MBps

CAKIII

Yes, I have a gigabit switch, and the two windows boxes and the linux one are connected at 1000mbit.

CAKIII

Now it seems to have gone up, but no higher than 4MB/s...

Could using a cat5e cable instead of cat6 be any problem?

Hmmm...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online