1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow PC troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TribesTime, Mar 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TribesTime

TribesTime Thread Starter

I've worked on a lot of systems but one thing keeps puzzling me, whether in Windows XP, Vista, 7, or 8.

PC's acting real slow overall; not talking internet, talking the whole system stop responding for period of time, hanging/freezing for a little bit and then back to normal, not even taking things like ctrl-alt-del command (at least not for 30-60 seconds).

But at the same time you can view TaskMgr and it is showing 20-50% of CPU and memory used up, Peak RAM not even near top, over 1gb free, no applications or only 1 or 2 running, only 1 user, show processes from all users checked. Why in the world should any system run slow with all those resources open?

Half of the time this is even after I've run ccleaner, disabled extra stuff then, defrag if needed, disabled any extraneous startup entries, rebooted, scanned for and/or cleaned up any malware with malwarebytes and/or super antispyware and rebooted. And you can get it running fairly well and then go on using it and it starts to do the crazy behavior again of lack of responding or everything loading very slow.

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

Personally, if the installation has been up for more than 18 months, I just backup and reinstall. Works every time. (Barring physical issues with the hdd or ram)

3. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

A lot of times problems like that are due to antivirus programs. Try unintsalling you antivirus, redownloading the newest version. If that doesn't help maybe try a different one and see if the problems are less.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Most of the computers that I service are loaded with malware/spyware and temp files, so it's usually the first thing that I address.

I then update needed programs/add-ons and uninstall unneeded clutter.

If it's a desktop, I open the case and make sure the processor heatsink/cooling unit isn't clogged with dust.

Resolving these issues can make a big difference in speed and performance.

If all else fails, I do a clean reinstall.

-----------------------------------------------------------

5. TribesTime

TribesTime Thread Starter

It's not a particular PC problem at this time; I've seen this on dozens of PC's over the years, and half the time we're talking biz computers you can't always just flash reinstall - while that may work, there's a deeper issue that I'm trying to figure out what may be common culprits so we don't take the biz PC out of commission.

Some Windows setting/conflict I'm missing I'm sure (thus why reinstall fresh works). But the crazy part is that it's not showing load on CPU or memory; and yeah, I've seen it with various antivirus programs, but that's probably what's doing it - just wish there was something definitive to find to know that for sure.

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    biz computers probably never get properly cleaned. (Some home users never bother with maintenance either; they treat a computer like a toaster. Plug it in and use it.) I mean remove old files, defrag, clear up bad links in registry.
    No one opens a business computer and cleans the insides either.
    As hard drive space gets lower, and files get placed all over the drive, it takes longer to find all the pieces.

7. bribro

bribro

Sorry for thread topic change but how do I start a new thread on this tapattalk app. Tried everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144261

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice