1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow pc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 2steps, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 2steps

2steps Thread Starter

Since I put a new hard drive in my pc it seems to be going slower than normal. I went from a 20gb drive to a 120gb drive. Is it because of the drive or just a coincedence? I've run sypbot and ad aware and a virus scan and all are ok

2. SacsTC

SacsTC

Only thing I could think of is if you got a 5400 RPM and had a 7200 RPM before. You would definitely notice a difference in the speed then.

3. 2steps

2steps Thread Starter

ahh ok, I'll have to check that. Is there anything I can do to make it faster?

4. 2steps

2steps Thread Starter

If that is the problem, what can I do to improve it?Would more ram help or do I need a faster processor?

Would running the drive externally be better or just the same?

5. THFS

THFS

As far as I know you can't change the drive speed, there might be some way of overclocking it but if there is I've never heard of it. If I'm correct and you can't change the speed, you could only tweak your system for a minimal speed increase. I can't tell whether you need more memory or a faster processor, because I don't know what you currently have. If you have 512+ memory and/or 2GHz+ processor there's no point wasting your money.

As for the external question, only certain drives can be run externally. Even then, it depends on the drive speed.
    If you want to tweak your system (assuming you're running XP) you might find this link helpful:

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

6. 2steps

2steps Thread Starter

I'm running ME and have 128mb ram and a 1.1 ghz amd athlon processor. I have run the drive externally before but put it inside because my old drive was full

7. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I figure you have already done this but just in case. Have you run a disk clean up, check disk, and defragged the drive?
    The reason I am asking is because if you recently migrated the files to the new drive or have installed windows on the drive it could be pretty messy and a cleanup check disk and a defrag would help if that were the case.
    Other than that it might be as mentioned a slower drive.

8. 2steps

2steps Thread Starter

I scan disked and disfraged when I first formated the drive but since transfering all my files I haven't. I have those sheduled for once a month and haven't had the drive that long yet. I'll give it a try , might help. Thanks

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269805

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice