1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

slow PC

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Buddha1234, Dec 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Buddha1234

Buddha1234 Thread Starter

Hi.I installed a scanner on my PC recently and since i installed it my pc is running slower.Do i need to delete some of my programes?Or do i need to remove them from my start menu?

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Buddha1234
    Depends what your system resources are upon startup. Before you need to start removing Items or deleting programs try this.
    If your scanner is functioning normal as designed then:
    Delete all temp files Go to start/run type in *tmp and delete all files found. Next navigate to the C:\windows\temp file and delete
    everything in there prior to today. Then go to IE and delete all temp files including offline and check your history settings. I keep mine at zero which in fact keeps one day today. Clean what you don't need.
    After you have cleaned all that schedule yourself for a Scandisk and Defrag.
    After complete restart and try system. If speed is still down.
    Start\run type in msinfo32 and click the plus sign by software then click on startup programs. After you have the startup listed
    click edit then select all then copy. Post your results of the startup group and we will help you prune the stuff not required for startup which will help free up resources. If you want to do it yourself then go to this site for guidance on what is necessary.
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm
    Keep us posted.
    Dave

3. Buddha1234

Buddha1234 Thread Starter

*StateMgr c:\windows\system\restore\statemgr.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    AOL 5.0 Tray Icon c:\aol5~1.0a\aoltray.exe -check .DEFAULT Startup
    CPQEASYACC c:\program files\compaq\easy access button support\cpqeadm.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    CPQInet c:\compaq\cpqinet\cpqinet.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Digital Dashboard c:\program files\compaq\digital dashboard\devgulp.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    EACLEAN c:\program files\compaq\easy access button support\eaclean.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Hidserv hidserv.exe run All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    LexmarkPrinTray printray.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    LexStart lexstart.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    LoadPowerProfile rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,loadcurrentpwrscheme All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    LoadPowerProfile rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,loadcurrentpwrscheme All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    LoadQM loadqm.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    LXSUPMON c:\windows\system\lxsupmon.exe run All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Mirabilis ICQ c:\program files\icq\ndetect.exe .DEFAULT HKU\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    MSMSGS "c:\progra~1\messen~1\msmsgs.exe" /background .DEFAULT HKU\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    PCHealth c:\windows\pchealth\support\pchschd.exe -s All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    RealTray c:\program files\real\realplayer\realplay.exe systemboothideplayer All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    ScanRegistry c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    SchedulingAgent mstask.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    SystemTray systray.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    TaskMonitor c:\windows\taskmon.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

Buddha1234
    Got it and working on it. Be back shortly.
    Dave

5. Davey7549

Davey7549

Buddha1234
    Here are the one you can safely remove.
    AOL 5.0 Tray Icon c:\aol5~1.0a\aoltray.exe -check .DEFAULT Startup

Digital Dashboard c:\program files\compaq\digital dashboard\devgulp.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersi
    on\Run

LoadQM loadqm.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersi
    on\Run

LXSUPMON c:\windows\system\lxsupmon.exe run All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersi
    on\Run

MSMSGS "c:\progra~1\messen~1\msmsgs.exe" /background .DEFAULT HKU\. DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

RealTray c:\program files\real\realplayer\realplay.exe systemboothideplayer All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersi
    on\Run

Scheduling Agent only need to be there if you have scheduled
    tasks.

SchedulingAgent mstask.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersi
    on\RunServices

Not required but remove via the Lexmark printer configuration.
    LexmarkPrinTray printray.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersi
    on\Run
    LexStart lexstart.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersi
    on\Run

Not required on startup and can be activated in start/programs.
    Mirabilis ICQ c:\program files\icq\ndetect.exe .DEFAULT HKU\. DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    Run

Keep Us posted on your progress.
    Also noticed you do not have any Antivirus running.
    Go to http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp and run a free online scan to make sure you don't have problem.
    Dave

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

Buddha1234 Replied by PM this question.
    When you uncheck them from the startup group you are not deleting them. You are preventing them from starting and running in background everytime you boot your computer. All programs that start within the startup group are placed in your Ram for quick access, and are using pointers from whats called an allocation table (64kb in size) that control the show for windows.
    If this allocation runs out of pointers you have out of memory problems.
    Go to start\run type in msconfig and hit enter. Click the startup tab and uncheck the Items I mentioned above and remove the Lexmark items as said not through Mscofig. Click apply then ok.
    Upon reboot a popup will appear saying you are using selective startup just check the box and click ok.
    Dave

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61760

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice