slow PC

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Buddha1234

Hi.I installed a scanner on my PC recently and since i installed it my pc is running slower.Do i need to delete some of my programes?Or do i need to remove them from my start menu?

Buddha1234
Depends what your system resources are upon startup. Before you need to start removing Items or deleting programs try this.
If your scanner is functioning normal as designed then:
Delete all temp files Go to start/run type in *tmp and delete all files found. Next navigate to the C:\windows\temp file and delete
everything in there prior to today. Then go to IE and delete all temp files including offline and check your history settings. I keep mine at zero which in fact keeps one day today. Clean what you don't need.
After you have cleaned all that schedule yourself for a Scandisk and Defrag.
After complete restart and try system. If speed is still down.
Start\run type in msinfo32 and click the plus sign by software then click on startup programs. After you have the startup listed
click edit then select all then copy. Post your results of the startup group and we will help you prune the stuff not required for startup which will help free up resources. If you want to do it yourself then go to this site for guidance on what is necessary.
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm
Keep us posted.
Dave

Buddha1234

*StateMgr c:\windows\system\restore\statemgr.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
AOL 5.0 Tray Icon c:\aol5~1.0a\aoltray.exe -check .DEFAULT Startup
CPQEASYACC c:\program files\compaq\easy access button support\cpqeadm.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
CPQInet c:\compaq\cpqinet\cpqinet.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Digital Dashboard c:\program files\compaq\digital dashboard\devgulp.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
EACLEAN c:\program files\compaq\easy access button support\eaclean.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Hidserv hidserv.exe run All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
LexmarkPrinTray printray.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
LexStart lexstart.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
LoadPowerProfile rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,loadcurrentpwrscheme All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
LoadPowerProfile rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,loadcurrentpwrscheme All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
LoadQM loadqm.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
LXSUPMON c:\windows\system\lxsupmon.exe run All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Mirabilis ICQ c:\program files\icq\ndetect.exe .DEFAULT HKU\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
MSMSGS "c:\progra~1\messen~1\msmsgs.exe" /background .DEFAULT HKU\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
PCHealth c:\windows\pchealth\support\pchschd.exe -s All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
RealTray c:\program files\real\realplayer\realplay.exe systemboothideplayer All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
ScanRegistry c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
SchedulingAgent mstask.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
SystemTray systray.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
TaskMonitor c:\windows\taskmon.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Buddha1234
Here are the one you can safely remove.
AOL 5.0 Tray Icon c:\aol5~1.0a\aoltray.exe -check .DEFAULT Startup

Digital Dashboard c:\program files\compaq\digital dashboard\devgulp.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersi
on\Run

LoadQM loadqm.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersi
on\Run

LXSUPMON c:\windows\system\lxsupmon.exe run All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersi
on\Run

MSMSGS "c:\progra~1\messen~1\msmsgs.exe" /background .DEFAULT HKU\. DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

RealTray c:\program files\real\realplayer\realplay.exe systemboothideplayer All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersi
on\Run

Scheduling Agent only need to be there if you have scheduled
tasks.

SchedulingAgent mstask.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersi
on\RunServices

Not required but remove via the Lexmark printer configuration.
LexmarkPrinTray printray.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersi
on\Run
LexStart lexstart.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersi
on\Run

Not required on startup and can be activated in start/programs.
Mirabilis ICQ c:\program files\icq\ndetect.exe .DEFAULT HKU\. DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Run

Keep Us posted on your progress.
Also noticed you do not have any Antivirus running.
Go to http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp and run a free online scan to make sure you don't have problem.
Dave

Buddha1234 Replied by PM this question.
Buddha1234 wrote on 12-15-2001 07:19 AM:
Hi,dave.Sorry to hassle you again.you have been of great help.Last night you advised me to remove some programmes from startup.Do i delete them or just rmove?If so,where to?Thanks.I am very new to the PC....
When you uncheck them from the startup group you are not deleting them. You are preventing them from starting and running in background everytime you boot your computer. All programs that start within the startup group are placed in your Ram for quick access, and are using pointers from whats called an allocation table (64kb in size) that control the show for windows.
If this allocation runs out of pointers you have out of memory problems.
Go to start\run type in msconfig and hit enter. Click the startup tab and uncheck the Items I mentioned above and remove the Lexmark items as said not through Mscofig. Click apply then ok.
Upon reboot a popup will appear saying you are using selective startup just check the box and click ok.
Dave

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online