1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow printing in Word using a Linksys print server

Discussion in 'Networking' started by relegated, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. relegated

relegated Thread Starter

My setup is this

Two desktop computers, hard cabled to a Linksys wireless broadband router model WRT54G and two laptop computer communicating with the same router using Linksys notebook adapters model number WPC54G. There is a Linksys printer server model number EPSX3 ver. 2 hard wired into the router. The router connects to a cable modem. The two desktops are running WinXP Home and the two laptops WinXP Pro.

A HP Deskjet 5650 printer is connected to one of the ports on the print server via a parallel port lead. The printer is also connected to one of the desktop computers via a USB lead.

WEP encryption is set on the router.

When I send a Word document to the printer via the print server there is a delay of two to three minutes before printing starts.

If I send the same Word document via the desktop computer that is connected to the printer via a USB lead then printing is almost instantaneous.

What am I doing wrong. Can anyone help. Please keep in mind I am a newbie to networking.

Mike Mason

2. stod73

stod73

Is there virus scanning software on both computers? In the past I've had to exclude virus scanning on the spooler directory (C:\WINNT\system32\spool) to speed up printing.

3. relegated

relegated Thread Starter

Thanks for the response but it wasn't the problem. I've solved the problem now thanks to my supplier who has changed the printer server for a Netgear onewhich works perfectly.

Just as an aside Linksys support is not good. Telephone support says email. Email is ignored.

Mike Mason

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223239

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice