1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

slow processor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rufusta2, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rufusta2

rufusta2 Thread Starter

I have a slow processor and want to know if I can put in a faster one. It is a small computer with only a 7gig hd, but it works ok for my son. He plays this online game, and it moves really slow and I think it would work ok for him with a larger processor. Any suggestions or instructions?

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

In order to help, we need information about the computer, make, type and speed of processor and the amount of RAM (memory).

Checking processor and RAM: In Windows XP, click Start> right-click My Computer> click Properties. You may have to give it a few seconds; but, amount of RAM and speed and type of processor will shop up on the General tab.

In the absence of the above information I can tell you that unless you are doubling the speed of the processor, you are hard pressed to see a difference in performance. And so few boards will support a processor twice the speed of the one they were delivered with.

Exceptions: If you are running that lame, partially disabled (think Yugo) Celeron processor, upgrading to Pentium will be a noticable enhancement. If you are running less than 512 Megs of RAM on an Windows 2000 or XP system, additional RAM will help, especially if you are currently at 256 Megs or less.

3. Compiler

Compiler

7GB HD, sounds like a computer made about 1997~2001. So getting a faster (not larger) CPU maybe tricky - but maybe free if you can find some. and as stated, without any information provided - there is no way anyone can make suggestions for you.

You can download and install PCWizard below to tell you what kind of CPU, RAM and motherboad you have. But if your computer is more than 5 years old - its best/easier/cheaper to simply replace the whole computer.

4. rufusta2

rufusta2 Thread Starter

I know they need another one and I'm trying to save up the money for a dell tower.
    My son's computer has 348 mhz processor, intel pent. 2, 128 mbram, I'm in the process of buying more ram, 7gig hd. I'm just not in the position to buy anything right now and am trying to use what I have or what I can get cheap off amazon.

5. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

We still don't know your operating system you are using.

With those specifications, anything at all spent on the old system is a total waste. It's money down the toilet. If you are running Windows 2000 or later, you are overloading the hardware and I advise you consider backing it down to Windows 9x or ME. If you are running Windows 9X or ME, the hardware is right for that OS.

6. rufusta2

rufusta2 Thread Starter

Sorry, running XP. I know I should use 98 but since I started using XP, I really like it better than 98, more security.
    While you're answering questions, do you know what specifications Vista requires? I have 2 other faster computers.

7. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I'm sure Microsoft would want to lower these requirements to increase market share (read: they just want the money); but, I would not attempt to run Vista on less than 2-GHz Pentium 4 or equivalent and less than 1 Gig of RAM, and that would be for business-type apps which require far less-capable hardware than games.

8. rufusta2

rufusta2 Thread Starter

I have a dell dimension 2400 tower someone gave me. Runs xp, intel celeron 2.40ghz,
    2.39ghz with 512 ram and am adding more ram to bring it up to a 2gig ram. I have heard people talking about how good Vista is, I was thinking about trying it out.

9. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

There will be differing opinions on this; but, I think Vista offers nothing over XP but headaches and additional hardware and software compatibility issues, not to mention the learning curve (read: change for the sake of change). For three-quarters or more of the changes they made to Vista's user interface, there is absolutely no benefit.

I have Vista on only one of my six systems here and the ONLY reason I have it on the one is that I must have one to learn on so I can do my service work.

Vista is resource hog bloatware, correctly deemed the number one tech disappointment of 2007 by PCWorld magazine.

Save your money.

10. Compiler

Compiler

1) Your hardware is too old for WindowsXP. The Pentium II came out before Windows98... about 4 years before XP. While Windows98 is very out-dated and such - it was something the PII can handle.

2) 128mb is painful. Memory for a P2 should be something like PC133. Go to criagslist.com and you maybe able to get that for free. I think I have some in a drawer somewhere and I'm tossing stuff like that into a recycle box for an electronics recycle center. Getting up to 256 or 512mb will help. But the CPU, motherboard, horribly slow memory will not make much of a dent.

3) I'm not rich either. I get parts when I can. But don't spend a dime on what you have. I've given away 700~1000mhz P3 systems because they have so little value. If you look, you may find at places like Microcenter that older P4 Dell & Lenovo(IBM) refurbished computers for about $180~250 with WindowsXP installed.

4) Don't worry about Vista. If your current PCs are running fine with XP, keep them there. Vista requires much more memory and CPU power to be usable.

5) Dell isn't the best choice for a low cost PC. If you buy a NEW desktop - it will most likely come with Vista. If so, make sure it has at least 2GB of RAM. Here are some for about $400. http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0291231 Getting a low-end Intel CPU with 1GB with vista is a horrible experince.

6) If you get something on the weekend, you can usually get it with an LCD monitor and printer for about $500~550 (again, 2GB - AMD x2 CPU).

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752439

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice