1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow Program

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Clark Kent, Jan 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Thread Starter

Bare with me.... I'm a novice. I had a contractor come in a short while ago to fix an unrelated problem. His solution was to remove everything including the operating system (Windows NT).

I reinstalled everything and the original problem was corrected, but a new one arose. Ever since then, a Symantec database (Act! 2000) just doesn't seem to want to work properly.

It is now extraordinarily slow and occasionally just freezes up.

I checked the Symantec site and they suggested removing screen savers, and renaming two files, Actrese.ems and Modmenu.act to Actrese.old and Modmenu.old. I tried both of those suggestions and neither made a difference. I scanned for viruses and spyware and found nothing. I also performed a defrag

I've hit a brick wall. Any suggestions? :confused:

2. Rockn

Rockn

Was the Act database on an NT workstation or Server? What situations is it "slow" in....accessing from across a network or on a standalone PC? Has the db been reindexed?

3. Clark Kent

Thanks for your response! The Main database is on the NT server, but the problem is limmited to the one work station. Act only slows down when accessing the main database. DBs on the C drive do not appear to have any problems. The database has been reindexed since Act was reinstalled.

4. Rockn

Rockn

If it's only on one PC it sounds like a networking problem on the PC. Check the network settings as far as protocols and network clients so you only have the minimum to access your network. Check the NIC settings to see if it is Full or Half Duplex.

5. Clark Kent

hmmm...
    there are only about a dozen computers on the network. I checked the NIC settings but I think (okay... no, I know) I don't really know what "Full or Half Duplex" means (blush)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64860

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice