1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow Q6600

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bobush, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobush

bobush It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

Bought a q6600 pc a couple of weeks ago to replace my Dell D820. Its slow compared to the dell at most things. I'm a photographer so use lots of image files. Windows Explorer in Vista is lethargic compared to my old dell on XP. I also get lots of " not Responding" .
    I can find a folder on my hard drive and it will take about a minute to open the images up. They are not huge files about 5 meg each. The Dell in comparison takes 5 seconds for the same files. Both have 4 gig ram. The q6600 processor just sits at 1-2% while asking it to do most things. If I use it to render Video it works at about 70 % and it's about 3 times faster than the Dell. Prior to buying I went on a couple of sites that compared processors and the Q6600 should be 6 times faster at rendering. In normal use such its noticibly slow than the Dell but should be very fast. It has the latest bios and is set up to go faster under load in bios.

Any ideas??
    bobush

2. zyper95

zyper95

What type of processor thus your pc have? Some processor such as dual core has the ability to do multi-taking which it means that even how many programs you open the processor can still handle it and does not show slow down. Also, having a large hard drive can cause slow down specially if you have to many programs running in the background upon start up.

3. bobush

its a q6600 quad core. I dont have lots of programs running. It jsut sits at 1-2% when I ask it to do anything. I could grow a beard faster!!

4. Warlord Jimmy

Warlord Jimmy

With those specs i see no reason why it should be slower...

Try contacting the manufacturer. Or getting a replacement on the warrenty. :confused:

5. bobush

its faster for rendering once it gets started but slower in general use with lots of "not Responding" The company have very poor support and all the do is refer you to this site in the hope you can sort it out yourself. Paid £1100 for it 5 weeks ago!

6. Warlord Jimmy

Warlord Jimmy

All i can suggest is that make sure all your hardware drivers are up-to-date.
    Also you should try running an anti-virus scan regularly see if anything comes up :)

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Could we start at the beginning. Are you saying you replaced the cpu in your Dell with a Q6600? If not what did you put your Q6600 in and was Vista then an upgradeand what version and how much ram are you running with it?

8. bobush

No . I bought a intel quad q6600 PC to replace my old DELL D820 PC. Both have 4 gig ram. The q6600 has vista prem the DELLs running XP.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597212

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice