1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow ReadyNas

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JimMcDonald, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JimMcDonald

JimMcDonald Thread Starter

Hi
    I've searched but made no real progress ...
    Am running Vista Home on a PC which is normally reasonably quick. It's on wireless through an Orange Livebox (UK). All software is up to date and nothing reports any probs when it scans the resident HD in the PC. Read speeds are dire - typically 256K and occasionally last night 1.5M. I know that read speeds will be affected by the nature of the files but such a variation makes no sense to me. The machine was nothing additional in either situation. I've tried a web search to no avail. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Jim

2. Megabite

Megabite

Do you mean when you are downloading files from the web or just transferring files to somewhere else?

3. JimMcDonald

Hi Megabite
    It's just when I'm transferring files "internally". The unit hangs on the router so I assume it communicates directly.
    Thanks.

4. Megabite

Megabite

Not sure what you mean "The unit hangs on the router".....shouldn't affect transferring files internally.

Have you tried the PC in Safe Mode tapping F8 on start-up and choosing Safe Mode and the transfer files internally

5. JimMcDonald

Sorry Megabite, I've expressed that badly. I meant that it's physically connected to it via USB. I've tried running in safe mode and there's no discernible difference. I can't understand how the same physical setup can vary so much in speed. Currently it's operating at 110K .....impossible. Thank you for looking:)

6. Megabite

Megabite

Ok....so the device your tranferring to or from is connected vis USB.......is it an External Hard drive?

7. JimMcDonald

Yeah. the storage system is connected direct via USB ot my broadband router/modem. My PC is supposed to communicate with it wirelessly which it does, but painfully slowly. It'll be something stupid on my behalf as I understand it should bt capable of 5M+. The router is only "g" rated. TBH I'd happily settle for 1-2M.

8. Megabite

Megabite

So I'm still a bit confused...your transferring files threw the wireless connection?

9. JimMcDonald

Yes.
    I normally access the web at around 6M (not great I know) but I can't understand why this more local transfer is so slow. The throttle is clearly not the router to PC wireless connection it must be a config issue. I'm unsure about "Jumbo Frames" as it's called, MTU etc and have tried to follow general stuff on the web to no obvious benefit.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974661

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice