1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow recovery problem from screensaver and hibernation

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by referee07, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

Whenever my computer comes back from my screen-saver or from hibernation, it is slow in recovering. The desktop comes back (or wherever I was when I put it into hibernation mode or left it for a few minutes in the screen-saver). But, the cursor freezes several times for several seconds, and I'm not able to do anything for maybe 30 to 45 seconds. Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this and how to fix it? Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Had a similar problem with my notebook PC. It was running Windows Vista Basic with 512 MB of RAM. Most of the time it only had Firefox and Thunderbird running at the time

I added 1 GB of RAM and now coming out of the screen saver or sleep mode takes only a second or two. Switching between tasks is also a lot quicker.

No guarantees on my part that more RAM will resolve your problems.

3. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

cwwozniak, thanks for the reply. I may add some ram. Question, everything else is running (it seems) up-to-speed. Did you see any other slow-downs in your system before adding the RAM, other than the sleep mode and screen saver?

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Changing between tasks, such as saving a file in MS-Word, leaving Word open and switching to Thunderbird to e-mail the word document would have a lot of hesitation and sometimes parts of the original foreground window would not clear right away or the new foreground window would open but the content area would be see through for a few seconds before the content would appear.

Things would also sometimes come to a dead crawl when Thunderbird would regularly check for new e-mails and then the Anti-virus software then scanned any new messages. Keyboard response was almost unusable during those times where it took a couple of seconds between tapping a key and seeing the letter show up on screen.

Besides a number of background tasks like the Anti-Virus suite running in the background, I only have Windows task manager, Firefox and Thunderbird running as I write this. Task Manager is showing a steady usage of 626 MB of RAM out of a total of 1525 MB. I suspect that a lot of RAM <-> Hard Drive swapping was going on with my original total of 512 MB of RAM

5. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

cwwozniak, thanks again for the response. With my computer nothing else is slow except for when it comes out of hibernation or from the screensaver. I had another computer at one time that was extremely slow and when I added RAM I could really tell the difference. I guess I could add some RAM because it is not that expensive but I wonder if it could be something else? Thanks again for the response.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756186

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice