1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow Response Time, Locking Up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by m_memories, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. m_memories

m_memories Thread Starter

My CPU usage soars over 100% frequently on the task manager. I get occasional warnings that my system is low on virtual memory. My memory usage is only about 50% on the task manager. My cursor frequently locks or disappears. Is there anything I can do myself to improve my system performance? I regularly perform system maintenance such as defrag, hard drive scanning, and have anti virus, anti spyware and firewall protection. I use Windows 2000 Professional, have 512k of memory, and my hard drive is only 1/3 full. Thanks for any help.

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

See if you can find out through Task Manager what is taking up your CPU processes.

1. CTRL-ALT-DEL
    2. Click Task manager button
    3. Select Processes tab
    4. Click on the CPU column header twice to sort the processes by CPU usage

3. m_memories

"System Idle Process" is taking from 55 to 96 percent. This is by far the most of anything.

4. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

System Idle Process should be taking up the excess percent not being used, it's basically the % of the CPU that's not being used at the moment.

5. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Anything else besides System Idle Process?

Watch the list for a minute or two, especially when the PC is acting up. It could be something that pops to the top every few seconds.

6. m_memories

The CPU usage soars to 100% whenever Internet Explorer is opening a new page. It fluctuates near 100 for several seconds before lowering.

7. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Hmm.. thats not normal. What is your default webpage?

When I open up to MSN.com, IE will sometimes go up to 20% or so at most.

8. m_memories

http://verizon.my.yahoo.com/
    I use Verizon Yahoo.
    I have spoken to them but they have not been of much help. They seem to think it is an internal problem.

9. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Interesting. When I click on that link, IE shoots up to close to 50% on my laptop.

What type of Internet connection do you have?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice