1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow Response Times with Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by STKA, Oct 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. STKA

STKA Thread Starter

Hi,

I am running Windows XP on my computer and have been experiencing extremely slow response times when starting up my computer and then starting specific programs such as Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer has been slower than normal when navigating between pages. I am running Norton Anti Virus and recently did system scans with Spybot and AdAware. It removed a few problems, but I have not noticed a difference in performance.

An additional problem is that an HP error message regularly appears that states "HP Framework Component Manager Service has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry fro the inconvenience".

Any help you could offer would be much appreciated!

Thanks, STKA

2. Rockn

Rockn

I would alos look at the processes that are currently running from Spybot and task manager to see if there is a process that is taking all of the resources when on the internet. If you have anything that hooks into IE like popup blockers or other utilities could be causing the problem as well.

3. STKA

STKA Thread Starter

How do I find out if there are processes running while I am on the internet?

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

depending on what version of Nortonj you have 2006 and 7 are enough alone to slow down any pc to a crawl, so I never recommend it.
    I would do some online scans as Adaware and Spybot frankly are old technology and neither them nor Norton is much good at trojans, which are the major problmes these days.
    www.bitdefender.com
    www,ewido.net are the best.
    Also why not go "Run,msconfig,ok,startup" and tell us what is checked there as running in startup.

5. STKA

STKA Thread Starter

Hi,

I ran Edwido and bitdefender. Bitdefefender did not locate any problems and Edwido only located 30 tracking cookies which I have deleted.

Here is a list of things that run on start-up:

• hpsysdrv
    • hkcmd
      • hpqcmon
      • hphupd05
      • hphmon05
      • sgtray
        • RECGUARD
        • VTTimer
        • LTMSG
        • ps2
        • mmtask
        • HPWuSchd2
        • hpcmpmgr
        • hpztsb09
        • hpotdd01
        • realsched
        • igfxtray
        • PicassaMediaDetector
        • Hello
        • iTunesHelper
        • qttask
        • jusched
        • yop
        • ccApp
          • bdmcon
          • bdnagent
          • avgas
          • rundll32
          • msmsgs
          • UpdateManager
          • ypager
          • SHS
          • Adobe Reader Speed Launch
          • Compaq Connections
          • HP Digital Imaging Monitor
          • Quicken Scheduled Updates
          • spamsubtact

Is there anything you suggest removing?

Thanks,
          STKA

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Everything except for:
    # bdmcon
    # bdnagent

7. ewirman

ewirman

There is a app called STARTER.EXE which makes all this very simple. It has a GUI and works great and is free. Go here... http://codestuff.tripod.com/
    WAA (works as advertised)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/513758