1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

slow shortcuts

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by flybynight, Dec 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flybynight

flybynight Thread Starter

I'm having a minor annoyance problem. Whenever I am online, and try to use my shortcuts, particularly My Computer, it can take up to 30 seconds for the window to be displayed. I am running an AMD Athlon 950 352MB RAM, WIN 98. Once again, this only happens when I am online. Thanks for the help.

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

run an updated virus scan or go to http://housecall.antivirus.com/ & run the free online scan.
    Next go to run .. type in msinfo32 & then click softwear envirement then click startup ... go to edit & select all... then back to edit & copy.. paste it in here for us to see.

then
    get this but don't run it til we see whats in the startup group

ad-aware for spyware removal... you may download it at http://www.lavasoft.de

3. flybynight

I have kept Norton updated. I also have Adaware, and use it frequently. I hope this helps.

CleanSweep Smart Sweep-Internet Sweep Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton CleanSweep\csinsm32.exe"
    Reminder Registry (Per-User Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT MONEY\SYSTEM\REMINDER.EXE
    ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    SiS Tray Registry (Machine Run)
    Norton CrashGuard Monitor Registry (Machine Run) "C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON SYSTEMWORKS\NORTON CRASHGUARD\CGMenu.EXE"
    SmcService Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\SYGATE\SPF\SMC.EXE -startgui
    Norton Auto-Protect Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~2\NAVAPW32.EXE /LOADQUIET
    CountrySelection Registry (Machine Run) pctptt.exe
    PTSNOOP Registry (Machine Run) ptsnoop.exe
    SymTray - Norton SystemWorks Registry (Machine Service) C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SymTray.exe "Norton SystemWorks"
    SmcService Registry (Machine Service) C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYGATE\SPF\SMC.EXE
    CSINJECT.EXE Registry (Machine Service) C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~3\CSINJECT.EXE

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

5. flybynight

Thanks for the input. Still not working properly. The only thing I can figure is system resources drop from around 90% to about 50% or less when I am online. Any ideas?

6. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

hi... you need to run Ad-aware http://www.lavasoft.de .... PTsnoop is spyware.... uncheck it in msconfig/startup
    uncheck MS MONEY too... you don't need that to start when you reboot your PC
    Do you know what this is?CountrySelection Registry (Machine Run) pctptt.exe
    if not uncheck it as well as uncheck anything you don't need to open when you reboot

ok flybynight ........ after you finish running the spyware scanner I suggest you cleanup your system... check this out... http://www.piersontech.com/07-CleanHardDrive.htm

when you have finished that reboot into safe mode & run your scan disk & defrag

That should take care of it well... Post back & let us know please.

oops... you said you have Ad-Aware ... I missed it. Do you have the latest version?

this is what I found on PTSnoop........ Two descriptions I've come across - both valid as far as I can see :-
    (1) Program installed with some modems that monitors the COM ports for the modem driver. Not needed from what I've read - may need a registry edit to get rid of it
    (2) Backdoor trojan virus that copies itself as PTSNOOP.EXE -see here for more info...

read this http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/ptsnoop.shtml
    Ptsnoop is a simple backdoor program written in Visual Basic. Being activated it first looks for active RAS connections and exits immediately if none is found.

If a connection is present, the backdoor installs itself to system by copying itself as PTSNOOP.EXE file to \Windows\System\ directory and modifying WIN.INI file. The backdoor adds its execution string after LOAD= variable in [Windows] section of WIN.INI file. Diring this operation WIN.INI file gets copied to WIN.ANA file, the backdoor's execution st ring is then added and WIN.INI file is deleted. Then WIN.ANA file is renamed to WIN.INI file. This way the backdoor will become active every time Windows starts. .................................etc...............
    Considered a Trojan Virus
    , this backdoor should be deleted from a system and WIN.INI file should be cleaned from backdoor's execution string after LOAD= variable

7. flybynight

How about this one? It won't let me uncheck Ptsnoop or the Countryselection thing. I uncheck them, restart, and they are still checked. Suggestions?

8. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

OK ...........maybe you should go to the address I listed above & scan... it will tell you when detected how to get rid of it

to http://housecall.antivirus.com I mean

"HKLM - Software - Microsoft - Windows - Current Version - Run"
    And delete the corresponding keys. That should completely remove them from msconfig.

9. flybynight

You lost me on that last part:

"HKLM - Software - Microsoft - Windows - Current Version - Run"
    And delete the corresponding keys. That should completely remove them from msconfig.

10. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

ok... go to run & type in regedit click ok
    then go to HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Run

delete
    CountrySelection Registry (Machine Run) pctptt.exe
    PTSNOOP Registry (Machine Run) ptsnoop.exe

11. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

After you remove it in regedit reboot... when you come back to Windows if it searches /looks for Ptsnoop at startup, click the start button, go to run, run "msconfig", goto the wni.ini tab, click the plus "+" sign next the windows folder, one of the check boxes will say " load=PTsnoop" uncheck that box and if that does not do it erase the word PTsnoop so it says "load=" .

12. flybynight

Thought I got rid of them. I restarted and they're back. I'm starting to think they might be causing some of my problems.

13. flybynight

Went to win.ini tab, nothing there. Already says load=

14. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

that is odd.... did you run the virus scan ...housecalls?
    its reported to be a resorce hog

another thing... go to control panel & add remove ... see if its there & remove it

15. flybynight

I've run housecalls a couple times now. Also tried the add/remove. Nothing there. It's really dug in. :mad:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62309

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice