1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow Slow Slow...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by IgneousPrime, Jan 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IgneousPrime

IgneousPrime Thread Starter

Hiya.

I recently re-installed Windows XP home edition and now my computer is acting violently slow. My startup is slow...everything is. I deleted everything off my start-up (except for the important ones) and I also cleared my registry,cookies,scanned for viruses,defragmented,restarted,but still a slow computer. Can someone tell me what is wrong? It was working fine before I re-installed Windows XP. :(

~IgneousPrime~

2. terryxp

terryxp

What are your System Specs?

3. IgneousPrime

Hiya.

Dell 4400
    Pentium 4 1.9 GHZ
    256 DDR SDram
    Win. XP Home Edition.
    Cable Modem w/ Router.

Anything else ya' need?

4. IgneousPrime

I restarted a million times,tried to mess aroud wih the registry. But still slow :(. I'm going to sleep now. Please have good suggestions :(.

5. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

In windows XP, services running in the background can really slow the system down. Here's a link with information. Be very careful. If you disable the wrong service, you can render XP unbootable.

Keep a record of everything you do.

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

You might also consider creating a second hardware profile in the event you make a mistake. You can disable a particular service in only one of the hardware profiles. You will then have a menu at startup and will be able to boot to the original which you have copied. That is insurance. You only disable services in one of the hardware profiles. So the original is untouched.

Here are the directions on how to do that:

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/xpprofiles.htm

6. WolfHunter

WolfHunter

I know i am having the same problem. I posted in here about a week ago and got some answers but it still isn't as fast as before i had to wipe the drive. Still things load way faster on startup when my adsl modem is unplugged from my computer.(ethernet cable) Its like as long as the computer and modem are talking to each other nothing else can happen untill they are done. :confused:

7. IgneousPrime

Mosiac...I don't get that thing you gave me. I don't understand it at all. Which link do I start with? And do I have to make Hardware Profiles...too confusing. Any other simplier way?

8. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

You do not have to make hardware profiles. They are a way of creating a backup so that if you disable a Service and render the computer unbootable, you will have another profile, the original available. By booting into the original, you'll be back in business.

Services are important in WinXP. They run in the background using Memory. Many are needed. Many are not. You can choose not to automatically load so many of the services.

The page I linked you to is a site with XP Service information. In XP and 2000, services are going to be the area to look at to increase preformance. Do not use MSCONFIG to adjust services. Use Services.msc

9. IgneousPrime

Ummm...I still don't get it at all. WHich services do I delete then?

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Get a copy of the StartupList application from the site below, if you don't already have it.

Once you have it unzipped, right click on the exe and select >send to desktop as a shortcut.

Once you have the shortcut on your desktop, right click on that and select "properties"

add a space and the following bold characters to the end of the Target line:

/complete

Resave the shortcut and run it. Then upload the text file as an attachment here.

Here's an example of what mine looks like; you might want to compare the system services in terms of what is manual, disabled, or automatic.

Also, when you do a ctrl-alt-del to open the Task Manager, do you see any processes other than System Idle Process, using more than 5% cpu time.

Attached Files:

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

A comparison for your Task Manager.... see attachment

Attached Files:

12. IgneousPrime

First of all...it's not a .zip file. It's a .txt file.

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

14. IgneousPrime

Here ya go.

Attached Files:

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well, I don't see that much difference between yours and mine; generally we have the same services disabled.

>> However you might want to go to the Administrative Tools applet, open the Services profile, and right click on this service and disable it.

Automatic Updates: %SystemRoot%\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs (autostart)

Personally I don't like the idea of updates being checked for or installed automatically. I don't think it's a source of slow down problems for you, unless they are intermittant.

>> while you're in Administrative Tools, open the Event Viewer and look at System Events. Do you see a lot of red error entries there?

Am I correct in thinking you have installed NAV 2003 since your last problem with NAV? I see it as a process but not as a startup, so you must have it and just about everything else unchecked in msconfig > startups.

>> And when you open the Task Manager (ctrl-alt-del) > Processes, do you see any processes, like Explorer.exe consuming more than a few % cpu time when at idle?

>Click the Performance tab also, what do you see for cpu usage and Page File usage? How much Total Memory and how much "Available"?

>Click Networking. What percent Network utilization for your connection type?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113342

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice