1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow speed from new server w Gigabit card

Discussion in 'Networking' started by [email protected], Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ralph@NES

[email protected] Thread Starter

Hello

I've just added the first 'real' server to our network at my place of employment, a nice dual-core 300gb RAID server with a Gigabit NIC.

Previously we only had an Adaptec Snap Server appliance. Nice little unit for file storage.

I used a small 4-port switch to split the ethernet cable to the Snap Server, connecting my incoming cable to the uplink and both servers to ports one and two on the switch.

I've got a computer across the building running Retrospect backup to a 300gb Maxtor external drive. I configured it to backup the new server now as well as the Snap Server (which we still plan to use for general fileshare).

The snap server backs up and reads at ludicrous speed but the new server takes FOREVER to back up! One folder containing a 287mb database took about 12 hours to copy. This doesn't seem right with a gigabit card!

Can anyone offer any insight? Should I be looking at a bad cable or a setting? Mind you, both of these are on the same primary cable out to the last couple feet where I put the switch to split to both. What am I missing?

2. Ralph@NES

And when I say slow, I'm talking .4MB per MINUTE. Checked the local area connection status on the gigabit adapter and it says 100.0Mbps.

What the heck is wrong here?

3. Ralph@NES

OK, I just rechecked something. Transferred the same file from the Server and the Snap Server to MY pc and not the backup pc. The Snap transferred a LOT slower than the gigabit on the Server.

So that makes sense, and it appears the NIC in the server is doing what it's supposed to.

Why, then, would the transfer be so ridiculously much slower on my W98SE backup computer compared to the data coming from the Snap?

I'm thoroughly lost.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Download QCHECK and test between various nodes to see what is really going on. The fact that you see 100mbit connections normally indicates you have a cable issue, or the Ethernet device on one of the ends isn't gigabit capable.

5. Ralph@NES

Well the W98 box is pretty old and a Compaq generic Presario. I imagine if anything isn't gigabit compatible, that would be it, huh?

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That would be my guess. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649070

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice