1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

slow speed on 2nd dsl pc using router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sabledog, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sabledog

sabledog Guest Thread Starter

im using bellsouth dsl connection download speed of up to 1.5m... im getting 1.2m on my xp computer... i have networked my win 98 se.. pc using a 4 port dsl/cable router/switch made by linksys... the win 98 pc is only downloading at a speed of 692 k...

im using ethernet connections and rj45 cables..

its my understanding that i should not be loosing that much speed... on the 2nd pc....the win 98 one..... is there anything i can do... setting on my router... settings on the 98 machine...

any help is really appreciated...

thanks
    sabledog

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

3. sabledog

used the tweak tool at dslreports.com changed my rwin number... to what was suggested.. that gave me the same speed on both pcs.... it also tells me that i need to change the mtu to 1472... would like to do this.. but i dont know how... but anyway... problem is solved...on the speed part... thanks for all the views and answer.... i have bookmarked that sight..
    thanks
    sd

4. Del

Del

When you go thru a router, sometimes you have to configure the PC for the router rather then the connection.
    Have a great one.

5. sabledog

yea... i notice that the router mtu setting was already set for 1472,,, or 14XX something.. makes since... thanks

6. Del

Del

You're welcome, I saw a few people with Linksys routers that couldn't send large attachments via email, linksys had a fix, pretty well buried on their site telling owners how to reset the mtu on the router to fix the problem.
    Trouble was, the fix was almost impossible to find at their site.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116889

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice