1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow speed when copying CD-R

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Simon70, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Simon70

Simon70 Thread Starter

I have an Intel Core Duo E660 and my OS is Windows XP Professional SP2.

When I copy a music cd using Nero,it takes about 5 minutes to complete on an LG DVD drive whose speed is x48 copying from an LG DVD Rom.

I have another, older pc, Pentium 3, OS Windows XP Professional SP2, with a Teac CD writer whose speed is x16 and the same cd takes just over 5 minutes to complete using the same version of Nero and copying from a Teac CD-ROM.

Shouldn't the x48 be three times faster than a x16? The shop I bought my new pc from simply suggested I tried different brands of CD-R's. I tried two different brands but there was no difference.

For a while after I bought my new pc, I rejoiced over the fact that I had a fast CD Writer like everybody else but it seems to be the same as my old one. :(

If anyone could help, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

2. Simon70

Simon70 Thread Starter

Bump!

3. rugrider

rugrider

I'm sure you aware of this, so don't be offended by my answer. One thing you can check is to make sure the disc support 48x. I had picked up some old disc that were slower and I had the same problem. Try testing your drive's with passmark burn-in test. It will let you know if you are having a failing burner and good luck.

4. Simon70

Simon70 Thread Starter

Thank you Rugrider for taking the time to post a suggestion. The discs I have used are x56 so I guess it can't be them. I could try testing my drive with ' passmark burn-in test ' .... if I knew what it was!:) Could you help me on this ? Also if you know, is one to take the speed menioned on drives ( x16,x48 etc ) literally or is it approximate? Thanks again very much for your help and have a nice day. :)

5. jkskinsfan

jkskinsfan

With NERO you should have the option of setting the Burn Speed from as low as 4X up to the maximum Speed of your CD Burner. If you want to Burn the CD's at 48X, make sure that is what the Burn Speed is set to.

6. tex0gen

tex0gen

What if he is not using nero?

7. rugrider

rugrider

The burn in test is a program that stresses all your hardware or just one piece of hardware. http://www.passmark.com/products/bit.htm. Just go to this site and select the download, it is free. Well, there is a free and paid version but the free version will work. Also, on Nero you can select what speed to burn. I use the new Nero version 8 and when I encounter a failed burn, I try and burn it at a slower speed. This sometimes works.

8. Simon70

Simon70 Thread Starter

Thank you jkskinsfan. The speed is set to x48 and in fact when it's copying it says 'copying at x48' but it takes a little longer than a x16!

9. Simon70

Simon70 Thread Starter

Hi Rugrider.I eventually downloaded and run the burn in test and it showed no errors.Could you answer just this question please if possible: Is the x 48 meant to be 3 times faster than the x16 or is all this approximate?Thanks again.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its approximate, but yes it should be faster - overall copy time will not be 3 times faster.

So which part of it is taking a long time, the copy or the burn part? Or are you going straight from disc to disc? The dive may be able to burn at 48x but it may be taking longer to read the original CD.

You may want to check what mode the CD\DVD drive is in. In Device Manager check to make sure its in DMA Mode and not PIO mode: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

Most new DVD readers/DVD burners require the use of an 80 wire IDE cable.

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

You know the truth of the matter, is I have seldom seen a great difference in time between a 16X and a 48X for burning, and I would imagine you really have to pinpoint the 2 projects as to burn exactly the same thing with the same amount of things going on in the pc at the same time as well. I mean who knows but suddenly antivirus turned on a scan of something or some other Windows process suddenly keyed up.
    I personally am kind if puzzled by my "quad core" cpu, that when I first boot up slows everything to ma crawl as my backup file and data program catches up and does a backup of recent files from the server it could not do while shut down. Once that backup is "rolling" then I can do other things even while it is doing it's thing, but the initial startup, really bogs down everything else.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649862

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice