1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow speeds on PC which shares wireless network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by zenju, Aug 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zenju

zenju Thread Starter

Hello everyone,
    I have 3 or 4 devices connected via a wireless connection, 2 of which are in the same room. Roughly a week ago, my desktop (Vista OS) started to suffer from severely reduced download speeds (5-30kb/s), while my laptop (also Vista OS) which is on the same wireless network continues to run at normal speeds (500kb/s-1mb/s).

I have tried a system restore, scanning for viruses, updating/disabling antivirus and firewalls, connecting directly to LAN, changed wireless interface speed from g to b to mixed, changed wireless channels from 1-6-11, nothing seems to work.

I have a Thomson TG782T router with a D-Link wireless card (which is rather old). I will be happy to post system specs if it helps diagnose this problem.

Please feel free to move this if it should be in the hardware section, I'm thinking it may be a hardware issue.

Thanks in advance.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Does that mean that you tested with an ethernet connection and still had very slow download speeds? If so I suspect a stack, security application or browser issue.

What browser(s)?

What security application(s) (firewall, security suite, anti-virus, etc.) are you using?

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or 7.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

3. zenju

zenju Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, the ethernet connection still yielded the same results.

I am using Firefox but have tested the results on IE as well, same results.

I am using Kaspersky as anti-virus.

The stack repair options did not seem to have any effect.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Uninstall Kaspersky long enough to test to see if it makes a difference.

Try Safe Mode with Networking.

5. zenju

zenju Thread Starter

No difference unfortunately.
    Any other ideas?
    Very seldom, around 1% of the time, it will return to normal speed without adjusting anything for half an hour to an hour.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you're using a power strip or surge protector or extension cord try plugging directly into a wall outlet.

7. zenju

zenju Thread Starter

Very very slight improvement, from 15kb/s to 70kb/s only :(

8. zenju

zenju Thread Starter

Update guys, just tried connecting directly to the router via ethernet cable on a different line, and speeds are perfect. This means that the wireless card/network adapter in my desktop is at fault, right?

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What do you mean by "different line"? Different electrical circuit?

10. zenju

zenju Thread Starter

Different phone line. The original phone line was faulty so I moved the router and desktop to a different room. The odd thing is, is that the wireless speed was 100% fine for the laptop when on the same original phone line, but the desktop wasn't. Using the different phone line and connecting wirelessly yielded the same poor speeds. So, the only time I've been able to maintain proper speeds on the desktop has been when it has been connected directly to LAN and using an alternate phone line.
    The logical explanation for this would be a combination of a faulty phone line and a bad wireless card; I am prepared to go out and buy a new wireless card, please let me know if you have any other suggestions.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1013298

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice