1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow speeds over home network, cannot connect to ZyXel NWA1100 and more

Discussion in 'Networking' started by EvilRaccoon, Mar 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EvilRaccoon

EvilRaccoon Thread Starter

Hi all, and thanks for this great forum.

I having issues with my new home network setup.. So Im hoping you guyes could help me out. Im getting really slow speed over the home network. Especially from my computer to my readynas (transferspeeds around 260kbps). In addition I cant access my NWA1100 via the ip adress. My setup is:

Modem Router from internet supplyer (Zhone)
    ZyXEL ES1100-16 Switch
    ZyXEL NWA1100 Access point
    ReadyNAS 2100

Im using win 7 on a dell XPS430 computer.

Here is some information, hope you can understand, its in norwegian:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

You really should have a router. Trying to do file sharing over the internet is usually difficult and certainly not safe.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I don't know how you could use a network attached storage device without a network. You spent money on a switch, a NAS, and a wireless access point, but you don't want to spend another $20-$40 for a router which would actually complete the setup?

Is there something unique about your setup that doesn't require or makes you not want to use a router?

4. EvilRaccoon

Hi and thnx for replying. I have a modem router (Zhone), supplyed from my internet supplyer. If I buy a new router, of higher quality (the Zhone router is probaby a cheap one), I just need to set the one I have in bridge mode and set up the new behind it. So if thats the problem, then Im gonna buy a new right away.

But could that be the problem? Im having problems with my home network. I though that all the traffic related to this is going through the switch?

5. epcjay

epcjay

Guys, the modem has a built in router, that's probably why he hasn't purchased a separate router yet, but in response to your question, some NAS has really bad performance when using windows SMB protocol.
    Are you on Ethernet cable or going though wireless? I think it says wireless ....cant read the language lol. How are the speed via LAN cable?

Does your NAS have FTP server built in? Try opening the FTP port on the NAS, and connect with a FTP program and perform a test file transfer to see what kind of performance you get. You do not need to open the FTP port in the router as all traffic is internal.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

The computer is showing his public IP address. It is not, at least was not at the time of the ipconfig /all, connected to a router.

7. epcjay

epcjay

Oh right, i didnt catch that ...

get a router OP

8. EvilRaccoon

Could you please explain a bit in more detail? I cant understand why I need a new router ( I have http://www.zhone.com/products/1512-B1-EU/ ). Im currently on internet, with my stationary and a mac, and I have a wireless access point up and working. But I cant ping or connect to the access point somehow and Im getting really slow speeds when writing and reading to my readynas.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

At the time we posted we knew nothing about you having a router. All we saw was the public IP address on your PC, indicating a connection directly to a modem. Is your modem/router now in bridge or bypass mode (acting as modem only)? Or have you changed something since your initial post?

10. EvilRaccoon

My modem is not in bridge. Its working as a modem and router. I havent changed anything since my initial post. I have tried to reset the ip adresses ( plug out all my equipment over night ), but obviously it isnt that simple :)

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It's not functioning as a router since you have a public IP address. I tried to pull up the documentation for that device, but it requires a login name and password.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1044723