1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow speeds

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mrberger, Jul 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrberger

mrberger Thread Starter

I have posted this in a different forum and got no answer, so I thought I would try here. I know, I am supposed to use a "Report Thread" button, but it is MIA.
    I used to have Comcast Broadband on my computer. I moved, and switched ISP to Qwest. Now I have Qwest DSL with MSN. I am using a Dell computer with Windows XP on it, and also have an Actiontec GT701 modem on the thing. I noticed the speeds had slowed down considerably when I switched from Comcast to Qwest, but the speeds were just way too slow to be normal. I am a member of a site that is for the trading of Widespread Panic shows (which is legal and supported by the band) and use a BitTorrent software program to download the music. It is a sort of a shareware but it is not illegal in any way. But I am pulling top speeds of 20-28 kB/s, where with Comcast I was pulling speeds in the 150+ kB/s. I was told to use the port forward in my firewall and on my modem to open some ports to increase the speed. I did, and it didn't help, and almost seemed to slow opening other pages when I was downloading music.
    I have spoken to Qwest in some detail about the problem. They told me to go to 2wire.com and check my speed. I am getting anywhere from 70 kB/s to 125 kB/s, when I should be pulling down 256 kB/s (or somewhere relatively close since that is the speed my modem and connection are for). Also, I have checked and my modem seems to be working correctly, and a Qwest technician ran a line check and it seems the line running from there signal box through my wires to the modem is fine. So I don't know why I am getting these super low speeds. Anyone have any ideas??? Thanks in advance.

Berger

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Take off the router and connect your PC directly to the new ISP's hardware and rerun the test if your still only getting 70k then call the ISP and complain cause it'll be a problem with thier hardware. Also if you have any firewall software disable it for these tests.

Removing lal in between items will ensure its none of your configuration causing the problem.

3. mrberger

mrberger Thread Starter

I am not using a router. The Actiontec is my modem. When I go to their website which allows me to adjust the settings, I can do a test and it says my modem is working fine. I took off the firewall settings in that are on my computer, but still have the Norton firewall. I did the test and still came up with 128.1 kB/s. What's interesting is when I am downloading something, and I go to run the test, the I lose the test. If I am downloading something, my whole Internet connection slows down, and it is almost like waiting for a 56k modem to download a web page. I sat on hold for about 1 hour and 45 minutes with my ISP yesterday, and they told me to try the SpyBot software and make sure there wasn't a problem there, and if it was still slow, to call them and they would set up an appointment. But if they come out here and the hardware (modem) isn't the problem, then what do I do?

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

If your not using any type of router and you have disabled all firewall software and are only get 1/2 the speed your supposed to there has to be an issue. I don't suppose you have a secondary PC or component you can hook up to this to ensure it too gets only a 128 test? What are your ping replies like and your tracert's like? I.E. I would ping an IP on the internet and then tracert it and see where the dropoff is showing. If your getting 10ms to your modem and then its dropping to like 120ms or something after that it'll tell you thats your drop point.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The Actiontec GT701 is a modem and router in one package.

I'm somewhat confused about the problem, DSL is going to be slower than most cable accounts, that's a simple fact. If your downstream speed is really 256 kB/s, then 20-25kbyte/sec is all you can expect! Comcast broadband is not 3000kb/256kb, or over 10 times as fast as your quoted rate for downloads.

What do you get when you try the speed tests at www.dslreports.com for your line?

6. mrberger

mrberger Thread Starter

7. mrberger

mrberger Thread Starter

The speed I got at dslreports was 208 kbit/s. With the 256, is that kiloBytes or kilobits? If its bits, I'm pretty close to right on target, considering others using the net and such. If it's bytes, I'm way off. I have been able to download web pages pretty quick, it is downloading files off the Internet to my computer which is going arse-slow. So maybe I need to up the speed from the ISP and there isno problem, is that what you are saying?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/248382

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice