1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow Start in Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by davemanroe, Jan 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davemanroe

davemanroe Thread Starter

When logging on to XP (home edition), after selecting my profile, the following occurs:
    moving the mouse over the task bar changes the pointer to the hourglass, and nothing can be selected, although the items on the desktop can be opened etc.
    After about two minutes, it suddenly works again. I think that it's Explorer .exe, purley because if i try to load Norton Systemworks 2002, that pauses for the same time (Norton's user interface is based on explorer, or so i've been told)

Any ideas?
    Regards,
    Dave

2. Dan O

Dan O

Some startup task is tying things up. Run MSCONFIG, select the Startup tab and uncheck all non Windows tasks. Reboot and see if that fixes the probelm. If it does, add back one task at a time and test again to find the problem task.

3. davemanroe

davemanroe Thread Starter

Bad news! I used MSCONFIG, disabled ALL startup tasks, and the problem was stil there, so I disabled all non windows startup processes, (via a diagnostic startup) and still nothing! Any clues? i'm stumped, and now the PC is being pretty random about loading things into the system tray, often leaving out my volume, and realplayer icons!

4. Dan O

Dan O

Try running: SFC /SCANNOW

If that does not correct things it may be time to format the hard drive and reinstall XP. I am running XP on 6 different PCs and it rock solid.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66331

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice