1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow start up of applications

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by mikebosy, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mikebosy

mikebosy Thread Starter

Hi all

I have windows 98 and my problem is that all applications such as Excel etc. are so slow starting up. Also my pc takes ages to shut down.

I have tried to de-frag in safe mode (screensaver off) but I get an error message telling me to refer to "Help". This then tells me to carry out a scan disk but when I click on scan disk, it just goes on and on and doesn't finish!

Can someone advise me please what I can do?

Mikebosy

2. prospect

prospect

Hve ya tried to clean your whole HD? Temp files, cookies, ect? Clean up all deleted files. Have ya been shutting down your PC properly? If it wants ya to run scandisk you'll have to wait until it finishes. When I used to run Win 98 it took over 3 hrs to complete.:mad:
    prospect :D

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Mikebosy:

What speed is the processor and how much RAM is installed?

Have you trimmed down the startup load as much as possible?

Have you deleted all the temp files and other junk files?

Have you defragged the hard drive lately?

There's a lot that can be done to make a computer run better and peppier, but let's get through the above questions first.

Click the link below and start reading. Several of the articles there should be of help.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

4. mikebosy

mikebosy Thread Starter

Hi
    Thanks for advice, I disabled my anti virus program and firewall and this gave me back my previous speed starting up applications. I then enabled them one at a time, when I had both enabled and back to normal, my applications still loaded at required speed!!!! Mystery?

Regards Mikebosy

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice