1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow startup and shutdown

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by westportwood, Feb 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. westportwood

westportwood Thread Starter

My problem is a very slow startup of windows. I get right to the user account screen then when I click on a user it takes up to one full minute to bring up the screen with my icons and shortcuts on it.
    I am running a compac computer with a cable modem and running a second computer on a home network thru a Belkin router.
    Also I keep getting a message( screen saver and wallpaper control has encountered a problem and has to close etc. etc.)
    When I clear this message everything seems to work OK after the exceptionally long waiting time for the icon screen to open
    everything seems to work OK also.

email edited...not wise to post your email addy...

buck

2. crankit

crankit

Have you ran scandisk and defrag recently? And now,if you have
    been on the net often,adware and spyware may have something
    to do with your system slowdown.

When you can,visit our Windows Startup Tweaks Article which
    may have some helpful tweaks and tips for you.Go to

http://www.ultimatepcrepair.com/news/20.html

3. HeddaLora

HeddaLora

Definitely try defragging -- I recommend Diskeeper because it runs in the background and doesn't restart when it hits open files.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/206259

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice